The Praxis® tests measure test takers’ knowledge and skills. The tests are used for licensing and certification processes and include:
- Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Tests
These tests measure academic skills in Reading, Writing and Mathematics. They were designed to provide comprehensive assessments that measure the skills and content knowledge of candidates entering teacher preparation programs. See Praxis Core information for test takers.
- Praxis® Subject Assessments
These tests measure subject-specific content knowledge, as well as general and subject-specific teaching skills, that K–12 educators need for beginning teaching. See Praxis Subject Assessments information for test takers.
- Praxis® Content Knowledge for Teaching Assessments (CKT)
These tests measure subject-specific content knowledge, with a focus on specialized content knowledge used in elementary school teaching. See Praxis Content Knowledge for Teaching Assessments information for test takers.
How Praxis Core Results Are Used
Praxis Core results are used for program admission purpose and, in most states, Praxis Core results are a component of the teacher licensure process. With the recent recognition of Praxis Core as a measure of academic proficiency by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), group average performance results will be admissible for program accreditation purposes.
Why Students Take the Praxis Core Tests
Here are just some reasons why the Praxis Core tests are preferable for students:
- Unlike college admissions tests taken during junior or senior years in high school, Praxis Core measures students’ current reading, writing and mathematics skills as they enter an educator’s preparation program. For some students, Praxis Core provides a second chance to demonstrate reading, writing and mathematics skills after two years of college.
- Praxis Core was developed in conjunction with teacher educators to focus on the academic skills most relevant to the profession.
- Praxis Core results help students affirm their readiness for higher level education preparation coursework.
State Testing Requirements
Each state and licensing organization determines its own certification and Praxis passing score requirements. For more information about certification requirements, visit the state requirements section. If your institution would like to use a Praxis test that has not been approved by your state, contact email@example.com for further information.