Overview of Kansas Testing Requirements

How to qualify for licensure

For initial licensure in Kansas, all candidates must:

For information on licensure via an alternate route, visit the Kansas Department of Education alternate route page.

Important information

  • ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
  • Kansas requires your name, address, date of birth and Social Security number (SSN) to process educator licensure paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit your information to the Kansas Department of Education with your test results. Failure to provide the information requested above may delay processing of your licensure application.

Score reporting

  • If you test in Kansas at a test center or at home, and your Praxis profile address is in Kansas, your score report will be sent automatically to the Kansas Department of Education. You may select up to three recipients at no charge during registration or purchase additional score reports after you test.
  • If you test outside Kansas or your Praxis profile address is not in Kansas, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the Kansas Department of Education. To have your scores sent to the Kansas Department of Education, you must select the Kansas Department of Education (state code 7270) as a score recipient when you register.
  • For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the Kansas Department of Education (state code 7270) with each additional score report request.
  • Persons enrolled in Kansas educator preparation programs must also designate their college or university as a score recipient.

Who must take the tests?

Teacher candidates or those wishing to become licensed must take the Praxis tests.

Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.

In Kansas, you must also take the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessments for each area of licensure you seek.

#Kansas DoE

Other programs used in Kansas


Measures your knowledge and skills in reading, writing and mathematics to assist in classrooms

School Leadership Series

Assesses your entry-level school leadership skills