How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Maryland, all candidates must:
- Earn a bachelor's or higher degree.
- Complete an approved educator preparation program OR complete the coursework and experience requirements outlined in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).
- Pass the Praxis® tests for their certification area or other national, state-approved tests. See the Maryland State Department of Education for complete testing information.
- If you test in Maryland at a testing center or using the Praxis at home solution, and your Praxis profile address is in Maryland, your score report will be sent automatically to the Maryland State Department of Education.
- If you test outside Maryland or your Praxis profile address is not in Maryland, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the Maryland State Department of Education. To have your scores sent to the Maryland State Department of Education, you must select the Maryland State Department of Education (state code 7403) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the Maryland State Department of Education (state code 7403) with each additional score report request.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take the Praxis tests.
Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In Maryland, you must take the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs