Overview of Maine Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Maine, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree
- Pass The Praxis Series™ test for certification area(s)
- Submit the appropriate certification application and fees
- Maine requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Maine with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN may delay processing of your certification application.
- Beginning with the 2013–14 testing year, ETS is administering a new version of the Health Education test. This new test will be offered in a computer-delivered format and the new test code will be 5551. The new test covers the same content as the previous test. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. For tests available in both formats (paper and computer), the computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- English to Speakers of Other Languages (5361) — February 2014*
- Special Education: Preschool/Early Childhood (5691) — July 2014
- Special Education: Education of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students (5272) — April 2014
- Special Education: Teaching Speech to Students with Language Impairments (5881) — July 2014
- Special Education: Teaching Students with Visual Impairments (5282) — April 2014
- Technology Education (5051) — July 2014
* Beginning February 2014, this test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take The Praxis Series tests.
Prior to entering an educator education program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In Maine, you must also take the appropriate Praxis II® tests for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs