How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Maine, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree
- Pass the Praxis® test for certification area(s)
- Submit the appropriate certification application and fees
- Maine requires a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Maine with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN may delay processing of your certification application.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take thePraxis tests.
Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In Maine, you must also take the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs