How to Qualify for Licensure
For initial certification in Mississippi, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree
- Complete an approved program of teacher education OR an alternate route program
- Pass the Praxis® tests for their certification area
Visit the Educator Licensure home page of the Mississippi Department of Education for comprehensive licensure guidelines.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- If you test in Mississippi, your score report will be sent automatically to the Mississippi Department of Education. If you test outside of Mississippi, select the Mississippi Department of Education (state code 7599) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Mississippi requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Mississippi with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take the Praxis tests.
Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications. Alternate route teacher candidates are required to take the Core tests for educator licensure.
Teacher education program graduates for all content areas must pass the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test that most closely matches the grade levels of the license sought. The PLT test is not required for alternate route candidates.
In Mississippi, both traditional and alternate route candidates must take the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments for each area of certification sought.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs