Overview of Montana Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Licensure in Montana
To qualify as an elementary teacher new to the profession for initial educator licensure in Montana, applicants must:
- Hold at least a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Verify completion of an accredited professional educator preparation program in an area approved for endorsement in Montana
- Earn a minimum combined score of eight based on a multi-dimensional content test embedded in the educator preparation program as a condition for licensure recommendation
- Successfully complete a supervised teaching experience
- Complete application materials
- Teach in your licensed and endorsed subject area
Qualifications for educator licensure in Montana depend on the type of license desired and the academic preparation of the candidate. Montana currently has eight classes of licenses with various requirements.
Montana does not use content test scores for licensure decisions.
For additional requirements across Montana's categories of licensure, see Montana's Educator Licensure Information.
- If you test in Montana, your score report will be sent automatically to the Montana Office of Public Instruction. If you test outside of Montana, select the Montana Office of Public Instruction (state code 8653) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Beginning with the 2014–15 testing year, ETS will discontinue paper-delivered testing. However, tests will be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- ETS is offering three additional tests in a computer-delivered format which will be introduced in October. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you.
- Economics (5911) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0911
- Geography (5921) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0921
- Government/Political Science (5931) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0931
- About the Praxis® Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs