Overview of Montana Testing Requirements
How to qualify for licensure in Montana
For information about educator licensure in Montana, please visit the Office of Public Instruction Educator Licensure website.
- The Montana Office of Public Instruction does not accept any type of test other than the Praxis tests. Additionally, if you completed your Praxis test more than 10 years prior to your application date for licensure in Montana, your test will need to be retaken.
- Those who have completed their teacher educator preparation program through an accredited Montana institution, directly contact the institution’s educator preparation program (EPP) for information relative to Praxis requirements.
- If you test in Montana at a test center or at home, and your Praxis profile address is in Montana, your score report will be sent automatically to the Montana Office of Public Instruction.
- If you test outside Montana or your Praxis profile address is not in Montana, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the Montana Office of Public Instruction. To have your scores sent to the Montana Office of Public Instruction, you must select the Montana Office of Public Instruction (state code 8653) as a score recipient when you register. As an alternative, when you receive your official test score(s) from ETS, you may email your results to the OPI Licensure Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the Montana Office of Public Instruction (state code 8653) with each additional score report request.
Frequently asked questions
Find answers to frequently asked questions about educator licensure in Montana at the Office of Public Instruction (OPI) Knowledge Base, or access frequently asked questions about Highly Qualified Teacher Status.