How to Qualify for Certification
Nebraska requires completion of an approved teacher education preparation program to receive an Initial, Standard or Professional level teaching certificate. To be admitted to a Nebraska teacher preparation program, candidates must pass the approved basic skills tests. The basic skills competency is also a requirement for issuance of a Nebraska Initial, Standard or Professional certificate. The Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Reading, Writing and Mathematics) is the approved basic skills test. Additional information regarding the basic skills testing requirements can be found in the Nebraska Certification Manual.
Passing one or more Praxis® Subject Assessments is required for those seeking an initial endorsement on a Nebraska certificate. See the Test Requirements page for additional information.
Nebraska law requires a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to apply for an educator or administrative certificate. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes. Failure to provide your SSN will delay processing of your certification application in Nebraska.
- If you test in Nebraska at a testing center or using the Praxis at home solution, and your Praxis profile address is in Nebraska, your score report will be sent automatically to the Nebraska Department of Education.
- If you test outside Nebraska or your Praxis profile address is not in Nebraska, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the Nebraska Department of Education. To have your scores sent to the Nebraska Department of Education, you must select the Nebraska Department of Education (state code 7643) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the Nebraska Department of Education (state code 7643) with each additional score report request.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Basic Skills Test Requirement — Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators
The Nebraska Department of Education requires passing scores on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Reading, Writing and Mathematics) for admission into a Nebraska teacher education preparation program and for other applicants requesting a Nebraska Initial, Standard or Professional certificate.
The Nebraska Department of Education will also accept the discontinued Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST) with Nebraska's required passing scores.
Praxis Content Testing Requirement
Those applying for an initial endorsement to be placed on a Nebraska teaching or administrative certificate for the first time must provide evidence they have passed the required Praxis Subject Assessments for their endorsement area(s). See the Nebraska required Praxis Subject Assessments for additional information.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Test Centers and Dates
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs