How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in New Hampshire, all candidates must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree
- Complete an approved educator preparation program or complete one of the alternate certification routes
- Pass the Praxis® tests for their certification area
For more information on educator certification procedures, visit New Hampshire's Bureau of Credentialing.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take the Praxis tests.
Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In New Hampshire, you must also take the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments for each area of certification you seek.
- The New Hampshire Department of Education automatically receives scores for test takers who take a Praxis test at a New Hampshire test center or using the Praxis at home solution and whose Praxis profile address is in New Hampshire.
- If you test outside New Hampshire or your Praxis profile address is not in New Hampshire, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the New Hampshire Department of Education. To have your scores sent to the New Hampshire Department of Education, you must select the New Hampshire Department of Education (state code 7660) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the New Hampshire Department of Education (state code 7660) with each additional score report request.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs