How to Qualify for Licensure
For certification in New Mexico, all candidates must:
- Pay the applicable application fee and submit an application.
- Pass the applicable licensure tests.
- Submit officially sealed transcripts that support the license that the applicant is seeking.
- Complete the Department Background Check ORI NM920140Z for "Teacher Licensure". (All licensed personnel must have a cleared background check.)
For information on licensure via an alternate route, visit the New Mexico Public Department of Education alternative route page.
Bulk Test Vouchers
If your institution or organization wishes to purchase vouchers to pay Praxis® test fees for sponsored test takers, please use the New Mexico Bulk Voucher order form.
- ETS has discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis® tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- New Mexico requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to New Mexico with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
- If you test in New Mexico at a testing center or using the Praxis at home solution, and your Praxis profile address is in New Mexico, your score report will be sent automatically to the New Mexico Department of Public Education.
- If you test outside New Mexico or your Praxis profile address is not in New Mexico, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the New Mexico Department of Public Education. To have your scores sent to the New Mexico Department of Public Education, you must select the New Mexico Department of Public Education (state code 8685) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the New Mexico Department of Public Education (state code 8685) with each additional score report request.
- Applicants seeking the Principal and/or School Administrator license must pass the appropriate Praxis assessment.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take the Praxis tests.
Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may also be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In New Mexico, you must take the appropriate Praxis tests for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs