As of September 1, 2013, the Ohio Assessments for Educators replaced many of the Praxis® Subject Assessments (formerly the Praxis II® tests) as the required Ohio educator licensure tests. If you are a new candidate for teacher certification, please visit the Ohio Department of Education website for further information.
How to Qualify for Licensure
For information on how to qualify for initial licensure in Ohio, visit the Ohio Department of Education website and enter "Initial Licensure" in the search box.
- If you take a Praxis test in Ohio your score will automatically be sent to the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). If you test outside of Ohio, select the ODE (code 7945) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
Who Must Take the Educator Licensure Tests?
As of September 1, 2013, teacher candidates or other professional educators wishing to become licensed must take either the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) tests, The Praxis Series® tests or a combination of OAE and Praxis tests. Please visit the Ohio Department of Education website to determine which test(s), whether an OAE, a Praxis test or a combination of both, is required for your licensure area.
If you are licensed in another state and are interested in obtaining a license in Ohio, contact:
- The Ohio Department of Education
Center for the Teaching Profession
Office of Educator Licensure
25 S. Front Street, MS 105
Columbus, OH 43215-4183
Third Grade Reading Guarantee
Ohio teachers of third-grade students who are on a reading improvement and monitoring plan or retained students now require special qualifications under the Third Grade Reading Guarantee. One way to fulfill the requirement is to pass the Praxis Teaching Reading: Elementary Education test. See the Ohio Third Grade Reading Guarantee for more information.
Visit the ODE website:
- For additional information about licensure tests, enter "Educator Licensure Examinations" in the search box.
- For more information about Alternative Educator License, enter "Alternative Resident Educator License" in the search box.
- To apply for an Ohio Licensure, enter "Educator Licensure Applications" in the search box.
- For information about the out-of-state application process, enter "Out of State Applicants" in the search box.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs