Overview of Pennsylvania Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Pennsylvania, all candidates must:
- Earn a Baccalaureate degree (except for vocational instructional areas)
- Complete an approved educator preparation program
- Pass The Praxis Series® tests for their certification area
- Submit the appropriate certification form and fees
For certification outside Pennsylvania, visit the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.
- Approved Certification Programs
- Education Leadership Programs (Administrative, Supervisory, Superintendent, etc.)
- If you test in Pennsylvania, your score report will be sent automatically to the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If you test outside of Pennsylvania, select the Pennsylvania Department of Education (state code 8033) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- As of the 2014–15 testing year, ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing. However, Praxis® tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
Who Must Take the Tests?
All teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified in Pennsylvania must take The Praxis Series tests.
If you are applying for a Vocational certificate (Vocational Instructional I or II), you are required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators tests. Post baccalaureate candidates are no longer required to take the "basic skills" tests as a requirement for certification.
You must also take the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments (formerly the Praxis II® tests) for each area of certification you seek.
Also, you must meet the qualifying score for all applicable tests at the time your application for certification is received by the Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality.
Note: Test scores are valid for certification in Pennsylvania for 10 years after the test date for candidates educated in the Commonwealth. Qualifying scores are subject to change. For candidates educated outside the Commonwealth, view interstate certification agreements.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs