Be sure that your computer and testing room meet the following requirements before you register for a Praxis® test at home. If they don't, you won't be able to test.
- Desktop or laptop computer; you can't use a tablet, Chromebook™ or mobile device.
- PC: Windows® operating system, versions 10 or 8
- MAC®: Mac OS® X 10.5 or higher (10.13 High Sierra is recommended)
- Chrome™ or Firefox® browser.
- Multiple monitors or dual screens aren't permitted.
Browser Download and Equipment Check
- Download and install the ETS Secure Test Browser on the computer you'll use to test. To fully install the browser, run the file after downloading it. Close the browser once you see the following message: "Success! You have installed the ETS secure test browser."
- Run the ProctorU Equipment Check from the computer you'll use to test. If you fail the equipment check, you must fix any issues before test day. Live ProctorU representatives are available to help.
- Computer firewalls and security applications can interfere with the test delivery software. If you experience this issue, you may need to disable or reconfigure your applications prior to the test.
- Use an internal or external speaker to hear the proctor.
- Headsets or earphones aren't allowed.
- Use an internal or external microphone that isn't part of a headset to talk to the proctor.
- Can be a built-in camera or a separate webcam.
- Camera must be movable to show the proctor a 360-degree view of the room, including your tabletop surface, before the test.
Environment and Testing Space
- You must be alone in a room with no one else entering during the test.
- You can't take the test in a public space such as a park, internet café or restaurant.
Tabletop and Seating
- Your computer and keyboard must be on a desk or other tabletop surface.
- The tabletop and surrounding area must be clear of all items not approved for use during the test, including cell phones (except when used for check in), cameras, notes and study materials. The furniture and décor in the room do not need to be modified or removed.
- You must sit in a standard chair; you can't sit or lie on a bed, couch or overstuffed chair.
- Food and drink aren't allowed during the test.
Clothing and Appearance
- Your ears must remain visible throughout the test, not covered by hair, a hat or other items.
- Face masks may not be worn during check-in or any part of the at home testing session.
- Dress appropriately for your test. You'll be monitored via camera by the proctor.
- Avoid wearing items such as jewelry, tie clips, cuff links, ornate clips, combs, barrettes, headbands and other hair accessories.
- You may not take notes on regular paper, for security purposes.
- You may use one of the following to take notes:
- One small desktop whiteboard with erasable marker
- One sheet of paper inside a transparent sheet protector with an erasable marker
- You'll be asked to erase all notes in view of the proctor at the end of the test.