Arrive at the test center 30 minutes before your appointment time, and plan to be there up to an hour longer than the actual duration of your test (see Test Fees for test durations). This includes time for check in, the collection of background information and the completion of tutorials.
On occasion, weather conditions or other circumstances beyond the test administrator's or ETS's control may require a delayed start or the rescheduling of your test appointment.
When you arrive, an administrator or supervisor will check you in and assign your seat.
- During check in, you'll be required to stand on a "stand here" sign or "X" in place on the floor, designating a safe distance away from the test center staff.
- Routine visual inspections — including emptying your pockets, raising your pant legs above your ankles and pulling up your sleeves above your wrists, and presenting your glasses for inspection — are performed by test center staff from the designated safe distance area.
- Image capture is completed from the same position. You'll lower or remove your mask momentarily for this process.
- As a temporary measure, ID documents with expiration dates of February 1, 2020 and later are acceptable for testing.
- To ensure safe distancing practices, certain standard check-in measures that require close personal contact may be waived.
- Scratch paper and pens or pencils are provided by the test center.
Storing Personal Items
After you check in, you'll be instructed to store any personal items not permitted in the testing room. Test center staff controls access to the lockers or storage area to maintain social distancing while you store your belongings.
Security Procedures and Inspections
Be prepared to undergo routine visual inspections as outlined above to ensure a fair testing environment. Failure to comply may result in dismissal from the test and forfeiture of your test fees. These inspections are done at check in and upon return from a break.
You may also be recorded on video, photographed, and/or thumb printed by test center staff, and be subject to signature comparison and other forms of electronic biometric ID comparison.<
For a full list of these security procedures and inspections, see The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin.