How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Utah, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete an approved educator preparation program OR have a degree major in a subject taught in Utah secondary schools.
- Pass the Praxis® tests for their certification area.
For more information, visit Utah's Initial Licensure page.
- If you test in Utah at a testing center or using the Praxis at home solution, and your Praxis profile address is in Utah, your score report will be sent automatically to the Utah State Board of Education.
- If you test outside Utah or your Praxis profile address is not in Utah, your scores are not automatically sent to the Utah State Board of Education. To have your scores sent to the Utah State Board of Education, you must select the Utah State Board of Education (state code 8375) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the Utah State Board of Education (state code 8375) with each additional score report request.
- If you previously tested and did not indicate the Utah State Board of Education (state code 8375) as a score recipient, please contact the USBE to request manual entry of these prior scores.
- As of the 2014–15 testing year, ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing. However, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
Who Must Take the Tests?
- Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take the Praxis tests.
- Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications. Please contact your college or university for more information regarding entrance requirements.
- In Utah, licensure candidates must pass the Praxis® Subject Assessments for at least one area of certification for which they are applying.
- Additionally, candidates must pass the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessments for every area of certification for which they are applying in the following areas: Administrative/Supervisory, Counseling, Fine Arts, Foreign Language, Language Arts, Mathematics, School Psychology, Science, Social Studies and Special Education.
- Individuals holding a Level 1 Utah educator license must complete the Early Years Enhancement (EYE) in order to upgrade to a Level 2 Utah educator license. For most candidates, this includes passing at least one of the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) tests. Please contact your district EYE coordinator for more information.
- In June 2019, the Utah State Board of Education passed amendments to Utah Administrative Rule R277-522. This change allows any individual holding a current Level 1 license on January 1, 2020 to be upgraded to a Level 2 license after that date without passing the Praxis Principals of Learning and Teaching test (PLT). For the purpose of this rule, the Level 1 license does not include Level 1 — LEA-specific or Level 1 — APT licenses. It does include Level 1 licenses that have been extended.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs