Overview of U.S. Virgin Islands Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in the U.S. Virgin Islands, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Submit appropriate applications.
- Submit official transcripts from all accredited institutions.
- Demonstrate proof of U.S. citizenship, permanent residency or other approved work status.
- Complete a course in Virgin Islands history within the first year of employment.
- Pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area.
According to the Virgin Island's Board of Education's Certification document, there are also general course requirements for any person who would like to teach in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Elementary school teachers need 36 education credits, and secondary school teachers need 26 education credits.
The U.S. Virgin Islands Department of Education offers comprehensive details on certification requirements.
ETS is offering the English to Speakers of Other Languages test in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced in February 2014. Beginning in February, this test will no longer be available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The computer-delivered version covers the same content as the paper-delivered versions and is scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered test has a different test code.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Every new secondary school teacher or elementary content area teacher (art, music, physical education, etc.) must take and pass the Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests, which consist of Reading, Writing and Mathematics sections.
Elementary K–6 teachers must take the Praxis II® examination in Elementary Education: Content Knowledge.
Candidates who do not have a content area major must take the appropriate Praxis II tests for each area of certification they seek.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs