How to Qualify for Licensure
For initial licensure in Wyoming, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete an approved educator preparation program from a regionally or NCATE accredited institution.
- Earn an institutional recommendation for licensure.
- Submit an official transcript documenting completion of an educator preparation program.
- Undergo fingerprinting and a background check.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the U.S. and Wyoming Constitutions.
- Submit the required application and fees.
Applicants who are applying for their first educator license in Elementary Education or Social Studies Composite are required to pass the Praxis® tests for their certification area.
For comprehensive information on requirements for obtaining initial licensure, applicants can access the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board.
- If you test in Wyoming at a testing center or using the Praxis at home solution, and your Praxis profile address is in Wyoming, your score report will be sent automatically to the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board.
- If you test outside Wyoming or your Praxis profile address is not in Wyoming, your scores are NOT automatically sent to the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board. To have your scores sent to the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board, you must select the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board (state code 8500) as a score recipient when you register.
- For all methods of Praxis testing, to request additional score reports you must select the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board (state code 8500) with each additional score report request.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- Wyoming requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Wyoming with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
Who Must Take the Tests?
In Wyoming, there are two teaching areas for which Wyoming requires applicants to pass the appropriate, approved Praxis® Subject Assessments to obtain initial licensure. Additional endorsements to the initial license may be added, via an alternate route, by taking the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessments for each area of certification you seek.
All out-of-state applicants are required to submit a verification of work history and a copy of the applicant's current, valid educator license.
In accordance with The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC Interstate Agreement), Wyoming may require an out-of-state applicant to fulfill additional requirements to obtain a Wyoming Educator License.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs