Off-Campus Testing Procedures and Regulations
- You must present acceptable and valid identification to the proctor during the testing session.
- Be sure you are in a well-lit, quiet and private room. The lighting of your room must be daylight quality, and overhead lighting is preferred. If overhead lighting is not possible, please make sure that your light source is not directly behind you because it will make it difficult for your proctor to see you.
- Your work area, including the walls, must be free of all unauthorized materials. Your proctor will ask you to pan the room using your web camera to verify there are no unauthorized materials. If materials are found, the proctor will ask you to remove any unauthorized items before testing can begin. Failure to comply may result in dismissal from the testing session and forfeiture of the test fees.
- In addition to presenting your identification to the proctor, you may be asked to complete an authentication quiz prior to starting your testing session.
- All cell phones, smartphones (e.g., Android™, BlackBerry® or iPhone® devices), PDAs, digital watches and other electronic recording, listening, scanning or photographic devices are prohibited during testing. If you attempt to access or use any of these devices during the testing session, your test session will be terminated, and you will be dismissed from the test and the test fee will be forfeited. Additionally, your institution will be contacted and your scores may be canceled even if dismissal is not enforced on the day of the test. You may not access your phone during the test or during breaks to check messages or to check the time.
- Food, drinks and tobacco are not allowed during testing.
- On occasion, circumstances beyond the test administrator or ETS's control may require a delayed start or the rescheduling of your test appointment. In the event that a technical problem makes it necessary to cancel your test session, you will be offered the opportunity to schedule another test appointment.
- If you register for the test and do not show up or do not complete the test, your institution will be notified and associated fees will be forfeited.
- ETS reserves the right to ensure the security of test content by recording audio, video and computer activity that takes place during your testing session. Failure to comply may result in dismissal from the testing session and associated fees will be forfeited.
- You are permitted to use scratch paper and a four-function non-graphing calculator during the test. Scratch paper is permitted so that you can work out problems and for appropriate note taking during timed sections of the test. Scratch paper should NOT be used during breaks or before the test. Before testing begins, the proctor will ask you to show them the scratch paper so that they can verify that it is blank paper. If you are observed using any documents or unauthorized papers other than the scratch paper that was approved by the proctor, the proctor will note this discretion and report it to ETS. Your scores may be cancelled and associated fees will be forfeited.
- Breaks are not permitted during the testing session.
- If at any time during the test you have a problem with your computer, or for any reason need the administrator, you may speak to the proctor.
- All activity during the testing session is subject to recording.
- ETS reserves the right to share all information obtained from the test session with your institution.
Dismissal from a Testing Session
The proctor is authorized to dismiss you from a testing session and/or your scores may be withheld and ultimately canceled for any actions that violate the policies and procedures set forth herein and/or communicated by the proctor, but not limited to:
- attempting to take the test for someone else or having someone else take the test for you.
- failing to provide acceptable identification.
- obtaining improper access to the test, test answers, a part of the test or any information about the test.
- accessing prohibited devices during the testing session. Cell phones, smartphones (e.g., Android, BlackBerry or iPhone devices), PDAs, digital watches and other electronic recording, listening, scanning and photographic devices are not permitted during the testing appointment. If you attempt to access or use any of these devices during the testing session, your test session will be terminated and you will be dismissed from the test and the test fee will be forfeited. Additionally, your institution will be contacted and your scores may be canceled even if dismissal is not enforced on the day of the test. You may not access your phone during the test or during breaks to check messages or to check the time.
- food, drinks and tobacco are not allowed during testing.
- using any prohibited devices in connection with the test, including, without limitation: mechanical pencils, mechanical erasers, pens, pagers, beepers, watch calculators, books, pamphlets, notes, rulers, highlighter pens, stereos or radios with headphones, watches, watch alarms (including those with flashing lights or alarm sounds), stopwatches, dictionaries, translators, compasses, protractors and any handheld electronic recording, listening, scanning or photographic devices.
- attempting to give or receive assistance — communication in any form is not permitted during the test administration. Discussion or sharing of test content or answers during the test administration and after the test administration is prohibited.
- removing or attempting to remove test content. Under no circumstances may test content or any part of the test content be removed, reproduced and/or disclosed by any means (e.g., hard copy, verbally, electronically) to any person or entity.
- using scratch paper before the test or attempting to remove it later.
ETS reserves the right to take all action — including, but not limited to, barring you from future testing and/or withholding or canceling your scores — for failure to comply with test administration regulations or the test administrator's directions. If your scores are canceled, your institution will be notified.
Change or Cancel Your Off-Campus Test Registration
Changing Your Test Registration
- You must change your ETS® Proficiency Profile test registration no later than 24 hours before your appointment or all associated fees will be forfeited.
- You can change your testing appointment online. When prompted you will need to enter the authorization code provided in your appointment confirmation email.
- Appointments cannot be rescheduled beyond the date identified by your institution on your invitation email.
- If you do not change your test registration as indicated above, all associated fees will be forfeited.
Canceling Your Test Registration
- In order to avoid forfeiting all fees, you must cancel your ETS Proficiency Profile test appointment no later than 24 hours before your scheduled testing time.
- You can cancel your testing appointment online. When prompted you will need to enter the authorization code provided in your appointment confirmation email.
- If you do not cancel your test registration as indicated above, all associated fees will be forfeited.
Order tests, manage test administrations, run reports (for existing customers only)
Compare the performance of your students with those of a large group of students at other institutions.