Opportunity in America Contributors
Choosing Our Future: A Story of Opportunity in America
- Irwin Kirsch is Ralph W. Tyler Chair in Large-Scale Assessment and Director of the Center for Global Assessment at ETS.
- Henry Braun is Boisi Professor of Education and Public Policy in the Lynch School of Education and Director of the Center for the Study of Testing at Boston College.
- Mary Louise Lennon is Research Project Manager with the Center for Global Assessment at ETS.
- Anita M. Sands is Research Project Manager with the Center for Global Assessment at ETS.
The Dynamics of Opportunity in America: Evidence and Perspectives
Choosing Our Future authors Irwin Kirsch and Henry Braun also served as editors of The Dynamics of Opportunity in America.
- Bruce Baker is Professor at the Graduate School of Education at Rutgers University and maintains blogs on school finance and educational policy.
- Jared Bernstein is a Senior Fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. He previously served as Chief Economist and Economic Adviser to Vice President Joe Biden.
- Danielle Farrie is Research Director of the Education Law Center in Newark, New Jersey.
- Chrystia Freeland is the Canadian Minister of International Trade and Member of Parliament for University-Rosedale in Toronto, author of Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-rich and the Fall of Everyone Else, and a journalist.
- Harry Holzer is Professor at the McCourt School of Public Policy at Georgetown University and is an Institute Fellow at the American Institutes for Research. He previously served as Chief Economist at the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Carl Kaestle is University Professor of Education, History, and Public Policy emeritus at Brown University.
- Ishwar Khatiwada is a labor economist at the Center for Labor Markets and Policy at Drexel University.
- Robert I. Lerman is an Institute Fellow at the Urban Institute, emeritus professor of economics at American University, and a research fellow at IZA in Bonn, Germany. He is also founder of The American Institute for Innovative Apprenticeship.
- Douglas S. Massey is the Henry G. Bryant Professor of Sociology and Public Affairs at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.
- Leslie McCall is a professor in the Department of Sociology and Faculty Fellow at the Institute for Policy Research at Northwestern University.
- Jennifer O’Day is an Institute Fellow of the American Institutes for Research and is founder and chair of the California Collaborative on District Reform.
- Richard V. Reeves is a Senior Fellow in Economic Studies, Co-Director of the Center on Children and Families, and Editor-in-Chief of the Social Mobility Memos blog at the Brookings Institution.
- David G. Sciarra is Executive Director of the Education Law Center in Newark, New Jersey.
- Timothy M. (Tim) Smeeding is the Arts and Sciences Distinguished Professor of Public Affairs and Economics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He was previously director of the Institute for Research on Poverty at Wisconsin-Madison.
- Marshall S. Smith is a Senior Scholar at the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, a former Dean and Professor at Stanford, and a former Under Secretary and Acting Deputy Secretary at the U.S. Department of Education in the Clinton administration. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the National Academy of Education.
- Andrew M. Sum is Professor Emeritus of Economics at Northeastern University in Boston. He was previously director of the Center for Labor Market Studies.
- Jonathan Tannen is a doctoral candidate in the Urban and Population clusters of the Woodrow Wilson School and the Office of Population Research at Princeton University.
Opportunity in America Advisory Panel
MembersContributing authors Chrystia Freeland, Douglas S. Massey, David G. Sciarra, Tim Smeeding and Marshall S. Smith also serve on the Advisory Panel. Other members are:
- Bo Cutter is a Senior Fellow and Director of the Next American Economy Project at the Roosevelt Institute.
- Ron Ferguson has taught at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government for over 30 years. He is creator of the Tripod Project for School Improvement, faculty co-chair and director of the Achievement Gap Initiative at Harvard University, and was formerly the faculty co-director of the Pathways to Prosperity Project at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
- Mark Gerzon is President of Mediators Foundation, which works to increase citizen engagement and civility in politics. He is the author of several books, including the forthcoming The Reunited States of America: How We Can Bridge the Partisan Divide.
- Peter Gould is Executive Vice President of District 1199C, National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees, National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees (NUHHCE), AFSCME, AFL-CIO and Vice President of NUHHE.
- Wade Henderson is President and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and the Leadership Conference Education Fund. He is also a member of the ETS Board of Trustees.
- Frederick M. Hess is Director of Education Policy Studies at the American Enterprise Institute.
- Kurt M. Landgraf is former President and Chief Executive Officer of ETS.
- Reynaldo F. Macías is professor of Chicana/o Studies, Education and Applied Linguistics, and a former department chair of Chicana/o studies and acting Dean of Social Sciences at UCLA.
- Isabel V. Sawhill is a Senior Fellow in Economic Studies at the Brookings Institution.
Back to Opportunity in America home.