Equipment and Environment Requirements
Confirm these requirements for your computer and testing room before registering.
Start Your Registration with ETS
Log in, select the test at home option, and pay for your test.
Complete Your Registration with ProctorU
From the email link, select a test date and time, and complete your registration.
The Testing Experience
Learn what is expected of you and what you should expect when taking the test.
After the Test
Receive your scores and learn about retesting if needed.
The Testing Experience
Be sure that you understand the at home testing procedures for GACE® tests, have the appropriate materials, and prepare the room where you will test.
Watch the At Home Testing with ProctorU® video.
Video and Online Monitoring
- During the test, a human proctor will monitor you (via video camera) and your computer screen to ensure you follow all testing procedures.
- Your entire test session will be recorded and your photo will be taken.
Test Environment Reminders
- Make sure you are alone in a well-lit room that is quiet enough for you to hear the human proctor.
- Make sure your table and the surrounding area is clear.
- Do not wear headphones or earphones.
- Make sure your ears are always visible and not covered by hair, a hat, or other items.
- Recording devices of any kind are strictly prohibited.
- Make sure your face is visible and not obscured by sunglasses or any other accessories.
- Avoid wearing such items as jewelry, tie clips, cuff links, ornate clips, combs, barrettes, headbands, and other hair accessories.
- Make sure you have acceptable note taking materials, such as a whiteboard or plastic transparency sheet, that can be erased in view of the proctor.
- Log in to your ProctorU account at your scheduled testing time. You will have up to 15 minutes after your scheduled time to begin your check in. If you have not checked in by that time, your test will be canceled and your fee will not be refunded.
- Select “Start Session.”
- Complete the authentication steps, which include showing your ID to the proctor. The name on your ID must match the name on your ETS account.
- The proctor will review the testing rules and request access to your computer screen for monitoring purposes.
- The proctor will ask you to use either a hand-held mirror or cell phone to show your computer screen.
- The proctor will ask you to use the camera on your computer to show a 360-degree view of the room, including your tabletop surface.
- When directed by the proctor, you will launch the ETS Test Browser. The proctor will provide the password to access the test.
During the Test
- Make sure you can be seen on camera by the proctor. Suspicious movements could invalidate your test.
- Do not use any unauthorized materials, including mobile devices, prewritten notes, or textbooks.
- Do not communicate with anyone else except the proctor.
- There may be references to using a headset during your test. Ignore these; headsets are NOT allowed for the GACE tests at home.
- There are no scheduled breaks.
- At the end of the test session, but before reviewing the unofficial score information, the computer gives you the option to report or cancel your score. Once you have chosen to report the score, it cannot be canceled. If you cancel your score, it will not be reported and it cannot be reinstated on your record. You also will not receive a refund if you choose to cancel your score.
What’s next? Learn about score reporting and more.