Updated October 20, 2020
Ongoing updates regarding important information about future testing and test taker support will be added to this page. Please bookmark it.
GACE® Program Admission Assessment (PAA) at Home: Now Open for Registration
For candidates unable to take the GACE® Program Admission assessment (PAA) tests at a test center due to public health concerns, ETS now offers a remote testing option — the GACE PAA at home. These tests are:
- identical in content, format and on-screen experience to the GACE PAA tests taken at a test center
- taken on your own computer at home or in another secure location
- monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®
Test Postponements and Rescheduling
Due to health and safety concerns for test takers and test center staff stemming from the coronavirus outbreak, the GACE program will offer the following options to all test takers:
- Waived fees for test rescheduling
- Extended submission dates for the Spring 2020 administration for PASL, if cooperating K–12 schools are closed for an extended time
ETS is working to make the rescheduling process as smooth as possible for test takers. Test centers do not need to be closed for test takers to reschedule their tests.
Please note that turnaround time for score reports and service levels in our call center may be impacted. If impacts occur, we will post a notification of the impact here.
If you are sick or have been sick within the past two weeks, have recently been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19, or have recently traveled to a highly infected area, we strongly urge you to stay home to help ensure the safety of the test center staff and other test takers. We recommend that you contact ETS at least three days before your test date, not including the day of the test, to reschedule your exam to a date that is at least 14 days into the future.
Test Center Updates
As test centers begin to reopen at limited capacity, information about when they will reopen and how candidates can reschedule their test session will be posted here.
Prometric® test centers are now offering testing for the GACE assessments at select sites. If you are scheduled to test at a Prometric test center, visit the Prometric Site Openings page for updates.
Non-Prometric managed test centers are beginning to reopen at limited capacity. Log in to your ETS account to view current availability.
While testing remains limited due to COVID-19 impacts, ETS is offering GACE tests at home — a convenient, safe and flexible remote testing option for the Program Admission assessment (PPA). Learn more about the PAA at home testing solution and how to register.
Note: You will be contacted directly by ETS if your test center is closed or your registration is impacted for any reason.
Test Center Procedures and Regulations
Test center rules have changed regarding your arrival at the test center, check-in and testing room regulations, and end-of-test procedures. Be sure to check with your local test center for a complete list of health and safety procedures.
Masks, Gloves and Personal Belongings
You must bring a mask to the test center, regardless of local policy. If you come to the test center without a mask, you will be turned away. You must supply your own mask. The center or local policy determines if you are required to wear it the entire time at the test center. As a precautionary measure you can choose to wear a mask during testing if the test center or local policy does not require it. Both medical masks and cloth face coverings are acceptable. Masks with valves or vents are not permitted.
You are also allowed to bring/wear rubber gloves, but gloves are not required.
- Test center staff will have access to masks, gloves, and sanitizing materials. These are not for test takers' use. All test center staff will be required to wear a mask.
- Test center staff will control access to the lockers or storage area to maintain social distancing while you store your belongings.
Plan to be at the test center up to an hour longer than the actual duration of your test (see Test Fees for test durations). This includes time for check-in, the collection of background information and the completion of tutorials.
Check-in and Testing Room
- During check-in, you will be required to stand on a "stand here" sign or "X" in place on the floor, designating a safe distance away from the test center staff.
- Routine visual inspections — including emptying your pockets, raising your pant legs above your ankles and pulling up your sleeves above your wrists, and presenting your glasses for inspection — will be performed by test center staff from the designated safe distance area.
- Image capture will be completed from the same position. Your mask will need to be lowered or removed momentarily for this process.
- As a temporary measure, ID documents with expiration dates of February 1, 2020 and later will be acceptable for testing.
- To ensure safe distancing practices, certain standard check-in measures that require close personal contact may be waived.
- As usual, scratch paper and pens or pencils will be provided by the test center.
End of Test
Once the exam is complete, the following modified procedures will be followed:
- Test center staff will control access to the lockers or storage area to maintain social distancing while you retrieve your belongings.
- At test centers with log sheets, you will be asked to sign out with the pen or pencil provided to them at check-in and then place the used pen or pencil in a holding tub.
- You must return all scratch paper by placing it in the secure bin or location as instructed by test center staff.
- Test center staff will clean all surfaces, including each workstation and administrative desk, at the start and end of the test day and between test sessions. They will use gloves when cleaning the pens/pencils and putting them back into stock.
GACE Paraprofessional Testing
Due to health and safety concerns related to the coronavirus (COVID-19), many Paraprofessional test centers are closed until further notice. At this time, it is uncertain when they will resume testing.
Test dates for the GACE Paraprofessional assessment are not determined by ETS. Because the scheduling and administration of the test is managed independently by each participating testing center, please contact your preferred testing center directly for updates.
GACE Teacher Leadership Assessment
For candidates who will be working in a virtual learning environment due to COVID-19, ETS provides guidance for completing the assessment tasks.
Disability Accommodation Requests
Please submit all GACE disability accommodation requests and supporting documents electronically via your GACE account to ensure that we are able to receive your requests. Due to limited staffing, there could be delays in processing accommodation requests.
Having the right tools to prepare for your GACE test can help you achieve your professional goals. Our free and fee-based GACE test prep resources will help you feel confident on test day.
We're here to help you through any problems you may have with the GACE test and concerns with rescheduling.
Please contact us.
Your Well-being Remains Our Top Priority
Tips to keep you and others healthy:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Maintain social distancing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Practice respiratory hygiene.
- Feeling unwell? Seek medical care early.
- Get advice from a health care provider.
- Stay informed: World Health Organization.