The GRE® General Test at home can help keep your dreams on track. Make sure to review these requirements and procedures so that you’re properly registered and ready to take the test at home.
- Computer: Desktop/laptop. PC with Windows® operating system version 10, 8 or 7, or a Mac® computer with Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (10.13 High Sierra recommended)
- Browser: Chrome™ or Firefox® browser
- Install the ETS Test Browser
To fully install, be sure to run the file after downloading.
- Speaker: internal or external; not part of a headset
- Microphone: internal or external; not part of a headset
- Camera: internal or external, to show a 360-degree view of room
- Complete the ProctorU® Systems Check from the computer you’ll use to test
- Testing Area: a private space, free of people and distractions
- Seating: a cleared desk or tabletop surface where you can place your computer, with a standard chair (no bed, couch or overstuffed chair)
- Note-taking materials: small desktop whiteboard or paper with transparent sheet protector and erasable marker
- Log in to your ETS account to start your registration and pay for your test. Note that you’ll choose your test date and time in a later step.
- Wait for an email from ProctorU with the link and temporary password to access your new ProctorU account.
- Use your ProctorU account to schedule your test date and time, and complete your registration.
- Check for the ProctorU confirmation email.
- Dress appropriately — make sure your ears and face remain visible throughout the test; don’t wear jewelry, tie clips or other accessories.
- Clear your computer area of all items not approved for use during your test.
- Bring your ID and a small mirror or your mobile phone for check-in.
- Log in to your ProctorU account at your appointment time to start your session.
- Complete the check-in steps with the proctor.
- Launch the ETS Test Browser when directed to by the proctor. The proctor will provide the password.
Review the information on this website for more in-depth information about the policies and procedures associated with at home testing, including a step-by-step look at starting your registration with ETS and completing your registration with ProctorU.
If you need help with your accounts, rescheduling or any other issue related to the at home process, contact us.