The GRE® General Test at home can help keep your dreams on track. The checklist below provides an overview to help guide you throughout the process. Make sure to review all the detailed information on this website so you are able to properly register and successfully take the test.
- Computer: Desktop/laptop. PC with Windows® operating system version 10 or 8, or a Mac® computer with Mac OS X® 10.5 or higher (10.13 High Sierra recommended)
- Browser: Chrome™ or Firefox® browser
- Speaker: internal or external; not part of a headset
- Microphone: internal or external; not part of a headset
- Camera: internal or external, to show a 360-degree view of room
Test Browser and Equipment Check
- ETS Test Browser: To fully install, be sure to run the file after downloading.
- Equipment Check: Run the ProctorU® Equipment Check from the same computer and in the same technical environment you'll use to test to accurately measure bandwidth usage. Fix all issues before test day.
- Log in to your ETS account.
- Select Register/Find Test Centers, then select the Test at Home option.
- Confirm your time zone, or select the correct one.
- Choose a test date and time.
- Follow the directions to complete your registration and pay for your test.
- Look for the confirmation email with your test appointment information and the link to launch your test. Be sure to keep this email safe until test day.
Before Your Test
- Make sure your equipment meets the ProctorU technical requirements and any issues from the equipment check are resolved prior to check in.
- Close all browsers and applications not needed to test to prevent bandwidth issues.
- Have your ID and a small mirror or your mobile phone for check in.
- Make sure your testing area is private, and free of people and distractions.
- Sit at a desk or table with a standard chair (no bed, couch or overstuffed chair). Clear the area of all items not approved for use during your test.
- Have your note-taking materials ready — a small desktop whiteboard or blank sheet of paper with transparent sheet protector and erasable marker.
- Dress appropriately — make sure your ears and face remain visible throughout the test; do not wear jewelry, tie clips or other accessories.
Your Test Session
- At your appointment time, click the start your test URL in your ETS registration confirmation email.
- Complete the check-in steps with the proctor.
- The proctor will launch the ETS Test Browser and enter the password required.
- Expect the entire check-in process to take about 20 minutes.
Review the information on this website for more in-depth information about the policies and procedures outlined above to successfully register for and take your test.
If you need help with your account, rescheduling or any other issue related to the at home process, contact us.