Updated May 20, 2020
Ongoing updates regarding important information about future testing and test-taker support will be added to this page. Please bookmark it.
At Home Testing Available Worldwide for the GRE® General Test
ETS has expanded the availability of at home testing for the GRE® General Test to everywhere the computer-delivered GRE General Test is normally available, with the exception of Mainland China and Iran. In Mainland China, ETS is working closely with NEEA to accommodate test takers impacted by test cancellations, including adding test dates once regular testing resumes. ETS is working to offer at home testing to Iran as soon as possible.
At home testing for the GRE General Test is for students who have been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19). Monitoring of the test will be conducted using live remote proctors and artificial intelligence technology by ProctorU®, the leading proctoring solution for online testing.
The test is identical in content, format, on-screen experience and scoring to the GRE General Test taken at a test center. It is monitored online by a trained human proctor from start to finish to maintain test security.
Test Postponements and Rescheduling
Due to concern for the health and safety of students and staff, and in compliance with local and national government directives, GRE® test centers have been closed in some locations for limited periods of time.
Other countries and regions have limited testing available. To search for currently available test seats, visit the GRE Test Centers and Dates page.
Rescheduling fees waived
To assist test takers during this time, ETS is waiving all rescheduling fees. If your GRE General Test appointment is postponed, you will be notified by email about rescheduling your test. Check your account and your email regularly to confirm your testing status.
You can make the following changes in your account without incurring a fee and without contacting GRE Services:
- Reschedule your GRE General Test appointment at a test center to another test center appointment.
- Reschedule your GRE General Test appointment due to health concerns, even if your test center remains open.
To reschedule from a test center appointment to an at home appointment at no cost, contact GRE Services directly.
If you want to register for a test, you can check test center and date availability in the GRE test registration system.
Updated Test Center Procedures
All of our test centers are following prevention steps to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
- You must bring your own mask, or you will not be admitted to the test center. Depending on the test center and local policy, you may be required to wear it some or all of the time you are in the test center. You are permitted to wear a mask even if it is not required. Medical masks and cloth face coverings are acceptable.
- You will need to remove the mask temporarily to have your photo taken and to enable the test center to verify your ID during check-in and upon returning from breaks.
- You may bring rubber gloves to wear during the test, but they are not required.
- All test centers have regular schedules for frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces and provide disposable wipes so that you can wipe down your testing area.
Disability Accommodation Requests
Disability accommodations are available when taking the GRE General Test at home. You can request accommodations via your ETS account before registering for a test. If you receive approval for accommodations of extended time, extra breaks, screen magnification or selectable colors, you can register directly in your ETS account. For all other approved accommodations, you must register through ETS Disability Services. Due to limited staffing, there could be delays in processing accommodation requests.
GRE® Fee Reduction Program Orders
Due to the mandatory business closures at ETS facilities as a result of COVID-19, ETS has temporarily suspended operations at physical processing facilities. The closures impact the processing of faxed or mailed fee reduction orders. If you faxed or mailed your order and want to avoid any further delay in processing, you can email your request. Please indicate that this is a duplicate request that had initially been faxed or mailed. Do NOT include credit card information in your emailed order form. Instead, request to be called for credit card information.
Free Test Prep
We encourage students to take advantage of free GRE test preparation resources, including:
- POWERPREP® Online, which offers two free practice tests and provides students with a simulation of the actual test — including timed and untimed options — allowing students to familiarize themselves with the design features they will encounter on test day.
- By Section overviews:
- Overview of the Verbal Reasoning Measure
- Overview of the Quantitative Reasoning Measure, including Math Conventions and Math Review . Links to Khan Academy® instructional videos provide additional information about the math concepts covered in the Review document.
- Overview of the Analytical Writing Measure, including Sample Issue Tasks and Sample Issue Responses, and Sample Argument Tasks and Sample Argument Responses for the Analytical Writing section.
In addition to this page, the best resources for you to keep apprised of GRE news include:
To connect with fellow test takers, visit the Official GRE General Test communities on
Your Well-being Remains Our Top Priority
Tips to keep you and others healthy:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Maintain social distancing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Practice respiratory hygiene.
- Feeling unwell? Seek medical care early.
- Get advice from a health care provider.
- Stay informed: World Health Organization.