Graduate Admissions During Coronavirus
May 21, 2020
At this challenging time, ETS is working hard to help applicants and graduate programs stay on track, and I’m pleased to share a few updates with you, as well as a number of invitations to join us at upcoming virtual events.
Since launching the GRE® General Test at home at the end of March, more than 50,000 prospective applicants in 100+ countries and territories have registered to take the test over the next few weeks. I encourage you to learn more about the at home test at www.ets.org/gre/cv-update, where you can see what your peers are saying about the test, sign up for an upcoming webinar and download graphics to post to your admissions web pages.
On June 2, ETS Vice President David G. Payne will join a conversation that The Chronicle of Higher Education® is hosting about graduate admissions during this crisis. During this event, David and a number of graduate school leaders will share their thoughts about processes and policies that may need to change given the current situation. We hope you’ll be able to listen in, as we know this topic is top-of-mind for many graduate programs. Learn more and register for this virtual forum.
This week, Inside Higher Ed® published an article about ETS’s commitment to stepping up to help the graduate community to manage through this situation. We hope you’ll have a read and let us know how we can be helpful to you.
As a reminder, the GRE General Test at home is one of many ways we offer support to graduate, business and law schools and your prospective candidates.
Support for Business Schools
- Recruitment support
- Prospect search resources including the GRE® Search Service, an online database with information about a half million individuals from around the world who have recently taken or plan to take a GRE® test. You can filter by 30+ criteria and create targeted mailing lists of qualified prospects to incorporate into your ongoing recruitment campaigns.
- A complimentary webinar that shares promising practices around how to cost-effectively target prospective applicants and keep them engaged throughout the process. Register to receive a link to the on-demand content.
- Free event promotion to inform prospects about your online information sessions and recruitment events through our official GRE General Test communities on Facebook®, Weibo and WeChat, which have more than 1.4 million followers combined.
- Admissions support
- Free online access to up to five years of your applicants' GRE score reports, including test taker photos and actual GRE Analytical Writing essay responses.
- A toolkit of resources for those who advise prospective students.
- Admissions best practices curated from graduate and professional schools, including information about using GRE scores and a digital guide for implementing a holistic admissions process.
- A prepaid voucher service to directly support prospective students with financial need.
Support for Applicants
- Comprehensive free test prep including two simulations of the actual test experience.
- A 50% fee reduction that eligible test takers can use to offset the cost of any GRE test, including the at home test, and to score some extra free test prep.
- Accommodations for test takers with disabilities and health-related needs.
- Free diagnostic information to help test takers understand their performance on the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections on their actual test.
Alberto Acereda, Ph.D., MBA
Global Higher Education Division, ETS