Updated June 14, 2020
In light of the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), ETS wants test takers to be aware that the health and safety of the entire HiSET® community is our first priority. We remain committed to sharing up-to-date information and supporting the needs of HiSET test takers.
Ongoing updates regarding important information about future testing and test-taker support will be added to this page. Please bookmark it.
HiSET® Exam at Home Now Available
ETS and the HiSET program are pleased to announce the HiSET exam at home option. With the at home option, you can take any of the five subtests that make up the HiSET exam on your own computer at home or in another secure location.
Each subtest delivered at home has the same content, format and on-screen experience as the test you would take at a test center. Your at home appointment will be monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®.
Test Center Availability
Many test center locations are closed or have reduced capabilities in response to local public health concerns around COVID-19. These closures or reductions may affect your ability to test at your preferred location, or on your preferred date or time.
As changes are happening almost daily, check test center schedule availability by logging in to your HiSET account for the most current information. You can also check the HiSET test center closure list.
Test centers remain open in some areas. Students can still schedule appointments for available dates on the Scheduling Your HiSET Exam page. We encourage all test takers and test centers to follow all local and state restrictions imposed as a result of COVID-19.
Updated Test Center Procedures
All test centers are following prevention steps to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
- Depending on the test center and local policy, you may need to bring your own mask; you may be required to wear it some or all of the time you are in the test center. You are permitted to wear a mask even if it is not required. Medical masks and cloth face coverings are acceptable.
- You will need to remove the mask temporarily to enable the test center to verify your ID during check in and upon returning from breaks.
- You may bring rubber gloves to wear during the test, but they are not required.
- Test centers will have regular schedules for frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces and provide disposable wipes so that you can wipe down your testing area.
Disability Accommodation Requests
Please submit all Disability Accommodation Requests and supporting documents electronically via your HiSET account to ensure that we receive your requests. Due to limited staffing, there could be delays in processing accommodation requests.
Please submit all voucher orders electronically, if possible. Due to local government guidelines, we are fulfilling orders remotely. Please allow three to five business days for processing.
HiSET Voucher Orders can be sent via:
- 1-973-735-1903 (Confidential)
(Note: Orders containing credit card information MUST be sent via fax.)
Free Test Prep
We encourage students to take advantage of free HiSET test preparation resources:
- Download the Printable Practice Tests.
- Access the Interactive Practice Tests.
- Download the list of Khan Academy® Math Tutorial Videos and Exercises.
- View the HiSET Test Sample Questions.
- Follow these tips for getting ready for your test.
In addition to this page, the best resources for you to keep apprised of HiSET news include:
Your Well-being Remains Our Top Priority
Tips to keep you and others healthy:
- Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer when available.
- Maintain social distancing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Practice respiratory hygiene.
- Feeling unwell? Reschedule your HiSET test and seek medical care early.
- Get advice from a health care provider.
- Stay informed: World Health Organization.