Equipment and Environment Requirements
Be sure that your computer and testing room meet the following requirements before you register for the Praxis® or SLS tests at home. If they don’t, you will not be able to test.
- Must be a desktop or laptop computer, not a tablet or mobile device.
- PC: you must use the Windows® operating system, versions 10, 8 or 7.
- MAC®: you must use Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (10.13 High Sierra is recommended). It is no longer required for candidates testing on a Mac computer to have Windows software loaded.
- Must use Chrome™ or Firefox® browser.
- Multiple monitors or dual screens are not permitted.
- Download and install the ETS Test Browser on the computer you will use for the test. To fully install the browser, you must run the file after downloading it.
- Run the ProctorU® System Check from the computer you will use for the test.
- Must use an internal or external speaker to hear the proctor
- Headsets or earphones are not allowed
- Must use an internal or external microphone that is not part of a headset to talk to the proctor
- Can use the computer's built-in camera or a separate webcam
- Camera must be movable to show the proctor a 360-degree view of the room, including your tabletop surface, before the test
Environment and Testing Space
- You must be alone in a room with no one else entering during the test.
- You cannot take the test in a public space such as a park, internet cafe or restaurant.
Tabletop and seating
- Your computer and keyboard must be on a desk or other tabletop surface.
- The tabletop and surrounding area must be clear of all items not approved for use during the test.
- You must sit in a standard chair; you may not sit or lie on a bed, couch or overstuffed chair.
- Food and drink are not allowed during the test.
Clothing and appearance
- Your ears must remain visible throughout the test, not covered by hair, a hat or other items.
- You must dress appropriately for your test. You will be monitored via camera by the proctor.
- Avoid wearing items such as jewelry, tie clips, cuff links, ornate clips, combs, barrettes, headbands and other hair accessories.
- You may not take notes on regular paper, for security purposes.
- You may take notes using one of the following:
- Whiteboard with erasable marker
- Paper with transparent sheet protector and erasable marker
- You will be asked to erase all notes in view of the proctor at the end of the test.
If ALL of these criteria are met, you can register for your at home test appointment.