TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition
To meet the needs of students who are unable to take the TOEFL iBT® test at a test center due to public health concerns, ETS is temporarily offering the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition. The test is identical in content, format and on-screen experience to the TOEFL iBT test taken at a test center. It is taken on your own computer at home and is monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®. At home administrations are currently available around the clock 4 days a week, through September 30, 2020. Appointments may be available as early as 24 hours after you register.
Am I Eligible for This Test?
If you are eligible to take the test at home, based on the country of your account address, you will see the "Special Home Edition test" option as you begin your registration.
The TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition is available to those who meet the following criteria:
The test must be offered in your country or location.
- The test is available everywhere that TOEFL iBT testing is normally available, with the exception of Mainland China and Iran. The at home option is dependent upon the country of your account address.
- Your computer must meet the equipment requirements for the test, including the installation of the ETS Test Browser for Windows® or Mac® and the ProctorU Systems Check.
- You must have a room that provides an acceptable environment for the test.
Ready to get started?
Watch our TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition video for a preview of the entire testing from home process including:
- equipment and environment requirements
- two-step registration process
- what to expect on test day
- after the test
Please follow the steps below, IN ORDER, to ensure that you meet the requirements and properly register for the test. Use the at home preparation checklist to help guide you through the steps.
Equipment and Environment Requirements
Confirm these requirements for your computer and testing room before registering.
ETSStart Your Registration with
Log in, select the Special Home Edition option and pay for your test.
Complete Your Registration with ProctorU
From the email link, select a test date and time, and complete your registration.
The Testing Experience
Learn what is expected of you and what you should expect when taking the test.
After the Test
Receive your scores and learn about retesting if needed.