The TOEFL iBT® Home Edition can help keep your dreams on track. The checklist below provides an overview to help guide you throughout the process. Make sure to review all the detailed information on this website so you're able to properly register and successfully take the test.
- Computer: Desktop/laptop. PC with Windows® operating system version 10 or 8, or a Mac® computer with Mac OS X® 10.5 or higher (10.13 High Sierra recommended)
- Browser: Chrome™ or Firefox® browser
- Speaker: internal or external; not part of a headset
- Microphone: internal or external; not part of a headset
- Camera: internal or external, to show a 360-degree view of room to proctor
Test Browser and Equipment Check
- ETS Test Browser: To fully install, be sure to run the file after downloading.
- Equipment Check: Run the ProctorU® Equipment Check from the same computer and in the same technical environment you'll use to test to accurately measure bandwidth usage. Fix all issues before test day.
- Log in to your ETS account.
- Select Register/Find Test Centers, then select the Home Edition option.
- Confirm your time zone, or select the correct one.
- Choose a test date and time.
- Follow the directions to complete your registration and pay for your test.
- Look for the confirmation email with your test appointment information and the link to launch your test. Be sure to keep this email safe until test day.
Before You Test
- Make sure your equipment meets the ProctorU technical requirements and any issues from the equipment check are resolved prior to check-in.
- Close all browsers and applications not needed to test to prevent bandwidth issues.
- Disable any screen-sharing or remote-access software. Make sure it remains disabled throughout the test and will not open automatically during the test.
- Have your ID and a small mirror or your mobile phone ready for check-in.
- Make sure your testing area is private, and free of people and distractions.
- The door to the room must be closed. Your table should be positioned so that the door will be visible to the proctor.
- Sit at a desk or table with a standard chair (no bed, couch or overstuffed chair). Clear the area of all items not approved for use during your test.
- Have your note-taking materials ready — a small desktop whiteboard or a blank sheet of paper with transparent sheet protector and erasable marker.
- Dress appropriately — make sure your ears and face remain visible throughout the test; don’t wear jewelry, tie clips or other accessories. Face masks may not be worn during check in or any part of the at home testing experience.
Your Test Session
- At your appointment time, click the “start your test” link in your ETS confirmation email.
- Complete the check-in steps with the proctor.
- The proctor will launch the ETS Test Browser and enter the ETS ID and password to access the test.
- Expect the entire check-in process to take about 20 minutes.
- Do not use your mobile phone or any other devices or aids at any time during your test, including the 10-minute break.
Review the information on this website for in-depth information about the policies and procedures outlined above to successfully register for and take your test.
If you need help with your account, rescheduling or any other issue related to the at home process, contact us.