Updated November 2, 2020
Ongoing updates regarding important information about future testing and test taker support will be added to this page. Please bookmark it.
Test Center Testing
As countries begin to reopen from the global pandemic, so are TOEFL iBT® test centers. Almost every country has some test centers open, with nearly half of test centers worldwide outside of China reopened. Openings vary by country and depend on the threat of the coronavirus and local government requirements, which are outside of ETS's control. ETS remains committed to the health and safety of test takers and staff during this reopening.
If you want to register for a test, you can search for currently available test seats in your area.
In areas where test center testing remains limited, you can take the test at home with the TOEFL iBT Home Edition.
View a list of countries where TOEFL iBT testing is available.
Updated Test Center Procedures
All of our test centers are following prevention steps to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. Be sure to check with your local test center for a complete list of health and safety procedures.
- You must bring your own mask, or you will not be admitted to the test center. Depending on the test center and local policy, you may be required to wear it some or all of the time you are in the test center. You are permitted to wear a mask even if it is not required. Medical masks and cloth face coverings are acceptable. Masks with valves or vents are not permitted.
- You will need to remove the mask temporarily to have your photo taken and to enable the test center to verify your ID during check-in and upon returning from breaks.
- You may bring rubber gloves to wear during the test, but they are not required.
- All test centers have regular schedules for frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces and provide disposable wipes so that you can wipe down your testing area.
If your TOEFL iBT test appointment is postponed, you will be notified by email about rescheduling your test. Check your account and your email regularly to confirm your testing status. Tests canceled by ETS do not incur a fee for rescheduling.
You can make the following changes in your account without contacting TOEFL Services:
- Reschedule a TOEFL iBT test center appointment to another test center appointment
- Reschedule your appointment due to health concerns, even if your test center remains open
To reschedule from a test center appointment to a TOEFL iBT Home Edition appointment, contact TOEFL Services directly.
At Home Testing
The TOEFL iBT® Home Edition is the at home version of the TOEFL iBT test. It is available everywhere that TOEFL testing is normally available, except Mainland China and Iran. The ability to register for the TOEFL iBT Home Edition is based on the country name you enter in your ETS account. If the country name matches a country where the test is available, you will see the Home Edition test as an option as you begin registration.
In Mainland China, testing has resumed at a limited number of locations. Additional locations and dates are being added monthly as conditions permit. In Iran, the test center network is operational and resumed testing in June.
The TOEFL iBT Home Edition is identical in content, format, on-screen experience and scoring to the TOEFL iBT test taken at a test center. To maintain test security, it is monitored online from start to finish by artificial intelligence technology and trained human proctors from ProctorU®.
Disability Accommodation Requests
Disability accommodations are available for the TOEFL iBT Home Edition. You can request accommodations via your ETS account before registering for a test. If you receive approval for accommodations of extended time, extra breaks, screen magnification or selectable colors, you can register via your ETS account. For all other approved accommodations, you must register through ETS Disability Services. Due to limited staffing, there could be delays in processing accommodation requests.
Score reports are being delivered on the regular schedule:
Electronic Score Reporting: Your official scores will be available in your ETS account online or via the TOEFL Official App, approximately 6 days after you take the test (6–10 days for the Home Edition).
Paper Score Reporting: If you requested a paper copy of your score report before you took the test, it will be mailed within 11 days after your test date. Delivery times will vary based on local postal services.
Free Test Prep
We encourage students to take advantage of free TOEFL practice resources, including:
- TOEFL® Test Preparation: The Insider's Guide, a 6-week online course with videos, quizzes and tips from expert instructors
- TOEFL iBT® Free Practice Test, which provides unlimited access to a full-length test with real past questions
- TOEFL iBT® Test Prep Planner, an 8-week schedule to help test takers set practice goals and build the English skills needed for success on test day
In addition to this page, the best resources for you to keep apprised of TOEFL news include:
To connect with fellow test takers, visit the official TOEFL communities on:
Your Well-being Remains Our Top Priority
Tips to keep you and others healthy:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Maintain social distancing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Practice respiratory hygiene.
- Feeling unwell? Seek medical care early.
- Get advice from a health care provider.
- Stay informed: World Health Organization.