Updated May 20, 2020
Ongoing updates regarding important information about future testing and test taker support will be added to this page. Please bookmark it.
At Home Testing Available Worldwide
ETS has expanded the availability of the TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition test to everywhere that TOEFL iBT testing is normally available, with the exception of Mainland China and Iran. In Mainland China, ETS is working closely with NEEA to accommodate test takers impacted by test cancellations, including adding test dates once regular testing resumes. We are working to offer at home testing in Iran as soon as possible.
The test is an at home testing solution for the TOEFL iBT test for students who have been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19). Monitoring of the test will be conducted using live remote proctors and artificial intelligence technology by ProctorU®, the leading proctoring solution for online testing.
The TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition test is identical in content, format, on-screen experience and scoring to the TOEFL iBT test taken at a test center. It is monitored online by a trained human proctor from start to finish to maintain test security.
Test Postponements and Rescheduling
Due to concern for the health and safety of students and staff, and in compliance with local and national government directives, TOEFL® test centers have been closed in some locations for limited periods of time.
Other countries and regions have limited testing available. To search for currently available test seats, visit the TOEFL iBT registration page.
Rescheduling fees waived
To assist test takers during this time, ETS is waiving all rescheduling fees. If your TOEFL iBT test appointment is postponed, you will be notified by email about rescheduling your test. Check your account and your email regularly to confirm your testing status.
You can make the following changes in your account without incurring a fee and without contacting TOEFL Services:
- Reschedule a TOEFL iBT test center appointment to another test center appointment
- Reschedule your appointment due to health concerns, even if your test center remains open
To reschedule from a test center appointment to a TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test at no cost, contact TOEFL Services directly.
If you want to register for a test, you can check test center and date availability in the TOEFL iBT test registration system.
Due to mandatory business restrictions related to COVID-19, delivery of paper score reports may be delayed. Most paper score reports are being sent from ETS 1 to 2 weeks after the test date. Electronic score reports are being delivered on the regular schedule.
Updated Test Center Procedures
All of our test centers are following prevention steps to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
- You must bring your own mask, or you will not be admitted to the test center. Depending on the test center and local policy, you may be required to wear it some or all of the time you are in the test center. You are permitted to wear a mask even if it is not required. Medical masks and cloth face coverings are acceptable.
- You will need to remove the mask temporarily to have your photo taken and to enable the test center to verify your ID during check-in and upon returning from breaks.
- You may bring rubber gloves to wear during the test, but they are not required.
- All test centers have regular schedules for frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces and provide disposable wipes so that you can wipe down your testing area.
Disability Accommodation Requests
Disability accommodations are available for the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition. You can request accommodations via your ETS account before registering for a test. If you receive approval for accommodations of extended time, extra breaks, screen magnification or selectable colors, you can register via your ETS account. For all other approved accommodations, you must register through ETS Disability Services. Due to limited staffing, there could be delays in processing accommodation requests.
Free Test Prep
We encourage students to take advantage of free TOEFL practice resources, including:
- TOEFL® Test Preparation: The Insider's Guide, a 6-week online course with videos, quizzes and tips from expert instructors
- TOEFL iBT® Free Practice Test, which provides unlimited access to a full-length test with real past questions
- TOEFL iBT® Test Prep Planner, an 8-week schedule to help test takers set practice goals and build the English skills needed for success on test day
In addition to this page, the best resources for you to keep apprised of TOEFL news include:
To connect with fellow test takers, visit the official TOEFL communities on:
Your Well-being Remains Our Top Priority
Tips to keep you and others healthy:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Maintain social distancing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Practice respiratory hygiene.
- Feeling unwell? Seek medical care early.
- Get advice from a health care provider.
- Stay informed: World Health Organization.