COVID-19 Update: TOEFL® and GRE® Testing
September 4, 2020
As the higher education community is settling into a new semester like no other, we wanted to provide a few updates about the TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition and GRE® General Test at home, and the expansion of in-person testing in China.
The at home tests — Today, we're announcing the extension of the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and the GRE General Test at home through October, and we are working to extend that date further. Be assured that ETS intends to offer the at home tests as long as COVID-19 is a concern so that students can opt to take the test from the safety of home. And it remains available even in areas where test centers have reopened so that students can choose which option works best for them.
More than 300,000 students from 163 countries and territories have registered to take these at home tests, and we wanted to share with you a few of the comments we've received from those who appreciated having this flexibility:
- TOEFL iBT test – numerous test taker comments and a testimonial from Evelyn Thimba of Drexel University
- GRE General Test – a comment from an applicant and numerous testimonials from graduate and business schools
ETS is still offering webinars about the at home tests, so if you haven't already, please register for an upcoming webinar or visit these pages for the latest information about resources available during the pandemic, including the at home tests:
- Web pages for TOEFL® Institutions and TOEFL Test Takers
- Web pages for GRE® Institutions and GRE Test Takers
Testing in China — The Chinese government's National Education Examinations Authority (NEEA) has announced an expanded number of test dates and test centers where they will offer in-person administrations for the TOEFL iBT test and GRE General Test through the end of September.
- The TOEFL iBT test will be offered on 8 test dates at over 30 test centers, with more centers being added during the month. Prospective candidates can learn more at https://toefl.neea.cn/. Those unable to take the in-person test at this time due to limited availability are encouraged to register for the TOEFL ITP® Plus for China solution. Visit www.ets.org/toefl/itp-plus for details on the solution, setting score requirements and receiving scores, FAQs, and for the updated list of accepting institutions, now 565 worldwide.
- The GRE General Test will be offered on 5 test dates at 25 test centers, with more centers being added during the month. Prospective candidates can learn more at https://gre.neea.cn/.
ETS is also working closely with NEEA to add additional test dates through the end of the year once regular testing resumes.
Thank you for your continued partnership, and should there be any further assistance that ETS can provide to you during this time, please don't hesitate to ask.
TOEFL Client Relations
GRE Client Relations