About the TOEFL® Essentials™ Test
The TOEFL® Essentials™ test complements the other TOEFL® tests in your portfolio, expanding your program’s range of applicants and offering you another testing option with all of the quality, validity, reliability and security you expect from a TOEFL test.
Designed by the assessment experts at ETS, the TOEFL Essentials test provides a friendly, engaging experience for test takers, and valid, reliable, and accurate results for institutions.
- Academic and General Content. The test measures English proficiency in a variety of environments, beyond just academic.
- Adaptive Format. Test delivery adjusts to the test taker's skill level to more precisely measure proficiency, using multistage adaptive methodology.
- Shorter Tasks. Friendly, faster paced tasks are designed to attract test takers who perform well with that style of assessment.
- A Global Test. Tasks provide a variety of mild accents and test situations from around the world, for a truly global feel.
- 4 Core Skills. The test has 4 sections, built around the core English-language skills of listening, reading, writing, and speaking.
- Foundational English Skills. The test also measures specific, essential elements of English proficiency such as Vocabulary Knowledge and Sentence Construction.
- 1 ½ Hours. The length and level of rigor are suitable for high-stakes admissions decisions.
- Personal Video Statement. The 5-minute, unscored video recorded at the end of the test allows you to directly view test-taker responses to 2 general questions.
Human experts are integral to the development and scoring of the test, unlike some tests that rely on only automated tools. Test items are:
- written and prequalified by ETS human assessment experts
- rigorously pretested with actual, human test populations to ensure reliability and fairness for diverse, global test populations
- scored by both humans and AI tools, to ensure validity and accuracy
Registration and Delivery
It's easy and convenient for your applicants to register and take the test.
- Affordable Cost. The final price will be approximately US$100–$120, less than half the cost of comparable tests.
- Easy Registration. Test takers register using the same platform as the TOEFL iBT® test.
- Convenient Appointments. Test appointments are available around the clock, 1–3 days per week, as early as 24 hours after registration.
- Worldwide Availability. Students can test from almost anywhere in the world with a reliable internet connection.
- At Home Testing. The test uses the same best-in-class technology, proctoring and security features as the TOEFL iBT® Home Edition.
Learn more about test security.
Free TOEFL Essentials preparation materials are in development and will be released in the coming months. They'll include:
- 3 practice tests
- a resource for teachers
The TOEFL Essentials test has several features that make it easy for test takers to see and show their performance on the test, including some of the same scoring features we built into the TOEFL iBT test.
- MyBest® Scores. All TOEFL Essentials score reports will include MyBest scores, the combination of the test taker's best TOEFL Essentials scores from all valid tests in the last 2 years.
- Instant Scoring. Test takers can see their unofficial Reading and Listening scores at the end of the test as an early indicator of their performance.
- Unlimited Score Reports. Test takers can send as many score reports to institutions as they need to, at no additional cost.
Learn more about scores.