About the TOEFL® Essentials™ Test
The TOEFL® Essentials™ test is a friendly and convenient English-language test with the quality that universities respect. Registration is open with tests starting on August 21, 2021.
- Official Acceptances Are Coming. Many institutions are still making their decisions about accepting the test and setting score requirements.
- Surveys Show Strong Interest. We expect the TOEFL Essentials test to be widely accepted by institutions that already accept the TOEFL iBT® test. Our research found that more than 90% of surveyed universities in the United States, Canada and the U.K. would likely accept the TOEFL Essentials test for admissions.
- Confirm Their Requirements. Check with institutions directly about their requirements. You can also check back here for updated information about accepting institutions.
- Academic and General Content. The test measures your English skills in a variety of environments, beyond just academic.
- Multistage Adaptive Format Design. The test questions adjust to your skill level as you go through the test.
- Short, Fast-paced Tasks. The test uses a simple, flexible approach to create an engaging testing experience.
- 4 Sections. The test measures the core skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Personal Video Statement. The 5-minute, unscored video allows institutions to get to know you and see your unique personality.
- 1 ½ Hours. It's shorter than most English tests, but long enough to measure your skills accurately.
- Instant Scoring. See your unofficial Listening and Reading scores at the end of the test as an early indicator of your performance.
- Unlimited Score Reports. Send as many score reports to institutions as you need to, at no additional cost.
- MyBest® Scores. All TOEFL Essentials score reports include the combination of your best TOEFL Essentials section scores from all valid tests in the last 2 years.
- Foundational Skills. Score reports feature measures of Vocabulary Knowledge and Sentence Construction.
- Sign in / Register
- About the Test
- Take the Test
- Prepare for the Test
- On Test Day
- Policies and Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us