Registration and the Name You Use
Registration Dates and Deadlines
- Registration opens approximately 6 months before the test date.
- Regular online registration closes 7 full days before the test date.
- Late online registration closes 2 days before the test date.
- Late phone registration is available until close of business on the day before the test.
- The late registration fee is $20.
You can take the test as many times as you wish. There's a required waiting period of 3 days between TOEFL® Essentials™ tests.
How to Register
You can register for the TOEFL Essentials test in your ETS account, by phone or by mail.
Follow these steps to register for an at home appointment:
- Log in to your ETS account and select Register.
- On the Find Test Centers and Dates page, select the TOEFL Essentials test.
- Verify your email address, then continue.
- Confirm your time zone, or select a new one.
- Choose the 2-month period you would like to take the test, then select an available test date from the calendar.
- Select an available time for your test and click "Register for this test."
- Follow the directions to continue your registration and pay for your test.
- When you finish, you'll receive a confirmation email from ETS with your test appointment information and the link to launch your test. Be sure to keep this email safe until test day.
Registering by Mail
To register by mail, first download and fill out a Registration Form. You'll have to enter certain codes manually that are input automatically online. See the lists below. If you can't find the code you need in one of these lists, contact your institution directly.
Mail your completed form and payment to the appropriate address.
- If you are testing outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada, select your testing location to find your RRC and its mailing address.
- If you are testing in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada, use the mailing address that corresponds to your payment method listed on the Registration Form.
Forms must be received at least 4 weeks before your test date.
If you don't receive a confirmation, call the location where you mailed your paperwork at least 3 business days before your registration deadline.
Registering by Phone
Review the Registration Form before you call, so you know what information you'll need.
If you are testing in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada, call +1-443-751-4862 or 1-800-GO-TOEFL (1-800-468-6335).
For all other locations, you must call your Regional Registration Center (RRC). Select your testing location to find the phone number.
If you are registering by phone, you can pay with:
- credit/debit card (American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, China Union Pay®, RuPay®, Diners Club®, Mastercard® or VISA®)
- electronic check (e-check) — Only a valid form of payment if you have a bank account in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada. Payment must be in U.S. dollars.
The Name You Use When Registering
The name you use when you register — and the spelling of that name — must appear exactly (other than accents and apostrophes) as it does on the identification (ID) document that you plan to bring on test day. If the names don't match, you won't be able to take the test, and your test fee won't be refunded.
- Be sure to provide your entire first/given name (other than accents and apostrophes). Don't register using a nickname or with only an initial as your first name.
- If you have a multiple-part first/given or last/family name, enter it exactly as it appears on the ID you'll bring on test day. Enter your names so they read in the same order as they do on your ID document. For example, if your first/given name is Jean Louis, enter both names in the First/Given Name(s) box.
- If you don't have a first/given name or don't have a last/family name, select the appropriate check box next to the name fields.
If the Name in Your Account Doesn't Match Your ID
If you make a mistake entering your name or date of birth, or if your name changes after you create your account, you must contact TOEFL® Services to update it before your test. You cannot update these fields yourself in your account, and the information on the ID you bring on test day must match the information in your account.
- Sign in / Register
- About the Test
- Take the Test
- Prepare for the Test
- On Test Day
- Policies and Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us