Take the Test
Now that you're ready to achieve your dreams, let's look at how you’ll register for the TOEFL® Essentials™ test and what you need to know before you do.
Before You Register
- You'll take the test on your own computer at home. Verify that you meet the Equipment and Environment Requirements.
- Have your identification (ID) documents ready.
- If you don't have an ETS account for the TOEFL® tests, create an account.
- Review the TOEFL® Essentials™ Information Bulletin for complete testing information, instructions, policies and procedures.
You can register for the TOEFL Essentials test in your ETS account. Test appointments are available 24 hours a day, 1 day a week (with more days to be added). Find appointments as early as 24 hours after you register!
The test fee for the TOEFL Essentials test is US$100–$120*, depending on your location. You can pay via credit card, eCheck, PayPal®, voucher, paper check or money order. Look up your location to view the test fee.
|Country||Test Fee (USD)|
Rescheduling, Canceling and Refunds
Need to make changes to your test appointment? You can do so in your ETS account or by phone at least 4 days before your test. To receive a partial refund, you must cancel your registration by the deadline (4 days before your test date). Find out more about rescheduling, canceling and refund policies.
You can take the test as many times as you wish. There's a required waiting period of 3 days between TOEFL Essentials tests.
* Test and test-related fees are inclusive of any sales, use, value-added or similar taxes. In jurisdictions where the customer is required to account for any local taxes due, the price remitted to ETS excludes those taxes. In those circumstances, it is the sole responsibility of the customer to pay those taxes to the local tax authority. ETS is not responsible or liable for collecting and remitting those taxes on the customer's behalf.
In the jurisdictions listed below, test and test-related fees are exclusive of any sales, use, value-added or similar taxes and will be added to the order when it is placed.
- Australia, Canada, Colombia, Nigeria, Turkey, United States, Vietnam, and Singapore (effective January 1, 2023).
- Sign in / Register
- About the Test
- Take the Test
- Prepare for the Test
- On Test Day
- Policies and Procedures
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Us