- How do I know which test(s) to take?
Each state sets its own requirements for licensure. Not all states require the same tests. Check the state requirements page for the state in which you are seeking licensure to determine if you are required to take one or more School Leadership Series tests.
- What types of questions are on each test?
View the Study Companion for your test to learn about test structure and content.
- How do I register for a test?
- Do I need to pay a registration fee for my test?
No, there is no registration fee. Please see test fees for more information.
- How do I make changes to my test registration?
To learn how to make change to your registration, see SLS Registration Changes.
- What if I am absent from the test?
If you are absent from the test, you automatically forfeit all fees. You may reschedule your test to another test date in the same testing year. The request must be made four full days prior to the test date for which you are currently registered (not including the day of your test). There is a $40 fee for this service. Please see Registration Changes for more information.
- Do I receive a refund if I cancel my registration?
If you cancel a test no later than four full days prior to the test date, you will be eligible for a partial refund. Please see Registration Changes for more information.
- What can I do through my SLS account online?
- Register for a test
- Select a test center
- Reserve a seat
- Provide demographic information about yourself
- Pay for the test
- Select recipients for your test scores (if applicable)
- View your order history
- Make changes to your registration
- Print a copy of your admission ticket for an upcoming test
- View your scores
- Order additional score reports
- Update your personal information or profile
- What browser does this site support?
The online registration system supports the latest versions of Chrome, Internet Explorer®, Firefox®, and Safari™ browsers. If you access our registration site without meeting these requirements, some functionality may not perform optimally and/or may be disabled.
- What are the hours of operation for online registration?
The online registration system is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Is this site secure?
We use a number of techniques to secure your visit with us. We authenticate you by using the unique username and password you have provided, and which you should keep in strict confidence. If you stop using the site after a period of time (e.g., you step away from your computer), the system will close your connection. In addition, when we take your credit card we use standard secure-encrypted techniques to transmit your account numbers.
- What about my privacy? What do you do with my credit card information?
Information about our Privacy and Security policies is available at the bottom of each page.
- I forgot my user name and password. What should I do?
On the sign-in page, under "Returning Users," click the "Forgot your user name or password?" link. You will be asked to enter information about yourself, answer the security question you selected when creating your account, and create a new password.
- I forgot my user name and password. Can I have them emailed to me?
No. For security reasons, we do not send user names or passwords via email. Instead, on the sign-in page, under "Returning Users," click the "Forgot your user name or password?" link and follow the instructions provided on the screen.
- Can I reset my password on the web?
Yes. After signing in, click the "Change Password or Security Question" link on your home page and follow the instructions to change your password. If you forgot your password, on the sign-in page, under "Returning Users," click the "Forgot your user name or password?" link and follow the instructions provided on the screen.
- What do I need to register online?
You must create a profile and set up a username and password.
- If you have previously registered online, log in using your established username and password.
- A valid email address and mailing address are needed to complete your registration.
- An accepted form of payment (credit or debit card or PayPal® account)
- Is there a service fee for registering online?
There is no additional service fee for registering online.
- Am I guaranteed a seat at a center if I register online?
ETS provides real-time seat assignment. You will be advised of seat availability while you are online once you have selected a test center. You must complete the registration process, including payment, and check out to guarantee your seat assignment.
- What if I can't find a test center that still has a seat for me?
Many centers fill up quickly, so you may want to consider searching for test centers in neighboring states.
- Are there any special instructions for individuals pursuing American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) certification?
Yes. Audiology or Speech Language Pathology test takers should refer to the Audiology/Speech Language Pathology Attending/Recipient Code List when selecting their attending institution and designated score recipients (if applicable) to ensure that the correct department and/or agency receives their scores.
- How is the biographical information that I submit used by the testing program?
Your biographical information is used to gather information for research purposes and to further ensure the validity and fairness of the test questions.
- I was taken back to the Sign-In page in the middle of my registration. Why?
If you have not interacted with the ETS.org site for over 30 minutes, your session may expire and you will be taken back to the Sign-In page.
- Will I receive an admission ticket or do I need to request one?
After you have successfully completed the check-out process, you must print your admission ticket. This screen is labeled "Admission Ticket" and contains your reporting address and other pertinent information about your registration order. You can print it anytime prior to the date of the test, but we encourage no more than three days before your test date to ensure that you have the most up-to-date reporting and check-in information at the test center location. Please note that you must take the admission ticket with you to the test center. This will be the only ticket that you will receive; printed admission tickets will not be mailed to test takers who register online.
- How long after I register online should I wait to call to confirm that my registration has been received by ETS?
There is no need to call to confirm your registration. Once you have completed an online registration and checked out, your information has been received at ETS.
- What should I do if I find an error on my online admission ticket after I have completed the registration process?
You can make changes to personal information via your SLS account online, then reprint your updated admission ticket. For instructions on how to correct other types of errors on your admission ticket, please go to the Cancel or Change Your Registration page.
- I spelled my last name incorrectly, or my name has changed. How do I correct this?
Only misspellings of your name can be corrected. NAME CHANGES WILL NOT BE MADE. If your name has changed for any reason, including marriage, you must still present primary identification in the name under which you registered, or you will not be permitted to test.
If you require further assistance, please contact our Customer Service Department:
Praxis/SLS Customer Service
Phone: 1-800-772-9476 (United States, U.S. Territories, Canada)
1-609-771-7395 (All other locations)
Fax: 1-609-530-0581 or 1-609-771-7906 Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–7:45 p.m. ET
Recorded information is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week by touch-tone phone.
- What if I need to cancel or reschedule my test?
Please refer to Canceling or Changing Your Registration for more information.
- When will my scores be available?
For the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (6011) and School Superintendent Assessment (6021) tests, scores are available 15–16 business days after the testing window closes. For the Kentucky Specialty Test of Instructional and Administrative Practices (6015), scores are available 10–11 business days after the test date. Please visit the Scores page for more information on score reporting dates.
- Does the institution where I obtained my teacher training automatically receive a copy of my individual score report?
No. An institution can only receive individual score reports if (a) it has been approved by ETS as a "designated score recipient" and (b) you have selected the institution to receive a copy of your score report.
- Will my score report automatically be sent to the state in which I am seeking certification or licensure?
Scores are sent to you and to the institutions or agencies that you have designated on the registration form. Some states are automatic score recipients.
Scores are automatically reported to the state Department of Education in Arkansas, District of Columbia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia.
If the state you test in is different from the state to which you will apply for certification, or if the state is not on the automatic score recipient list, you must list the state as a score recipient in order for a score report to be sent to the state's teacher credentialing agency.
- What's the difference between raw and scaled scores?
School Leadership Series assessments exist in several different editions. These different editions contain different questions intended to measure the same general types of knowledge or skills. There is no way to guarantee that the questions in all editions of the test will have the same precise degree of difficulty. To avoid penalizing test takers who answer more difficult questions, the initial scores are adjusted for difficulty by using a statistical process known as equating.
To avoid confusion between the adjusted and the unadjusted scores, ETS reports the adjusted scores on a score scale that makes them clearly different from the unadjusted scores. Unadjusted scores, which are simply the number of questions answered correctly, are known as "raw scores." Adjusted scores, which are adjusted to the scale we use for reporting the scores, are known as "scaled scores." For each edition of the SLS tests, a "raw-to-scale conversion table" is used to translate raw scores to scaled scores. The harder the questions are on a test edition, the fewer the questions that must be answered correctly to earn a given scaled score.
- How do I know if I passed the test?
Passing score information is on your score report.
- Who gets a copy of my score report?
Scores are provided to you in your SLS account and to the institutions or agencies that you have designated to receive your scores when you registered.
Scores are automatically reported to the State Departments of Education in Arkansas, District of Columbia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia for those candidates who test at centers in those states.
- What if I need to send my scores to additional recipients after I register?
You may order additional score reports online via your SLS account, by mailing a completed Additional Score Report Request Form with the appropriate fee, or by calling 1-800-772-9476. Each request costs $50.
- Who develops the School Leadership Series tests?
The School Leadership Series tests are developed by licensed practicing professionals and faculty who prepare those professionals. These individuals are invited to serve on committees that develop the test specifications and to write and review test questions and test forms.
The School Leaders Licensure Assessment and School Superintendent Assessment are based on the Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC) Standards for School Leaders and on current research, including a complete job analysis of the most important tasks and skills required of beginning principals and superintendents, as well as extensive surveys to confirm test validity.
SLS State Testing Requirements
Sign in to Your SLS Account
Register online, print admission tickets or view/order score reports.
Note: If you are currently signed in to your Praxis® account, please sign out before signing in to your SLS account.