TOEFL® Essentials™ New Scholar Award
We are pleased to announce the 2023 TOEFL® Essentials™ New Scholar Award.
The deadline to submit a nomination for the 2023 TOEFL® Essentials™ New Scholar Award has passed. The next round of applications will open in spring of 2023.
To recognize a recent graduate in the field of foreign- or second-language assessment, whose scholarship or other major professional activities have already made an outstanding contribution.
- $2,000 (payable in U.S. dollars only)
- a commemorative plaque
Any scholar working in the area of second- or foreign-language assessment who has graduated with a doctorate in the previous 7 years at time of the nomination deadline is eligible.
- September 6, 2022 (11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time) — Extended deadline for submissions.
- October 15, 2022 — Award recipient is notified.
Nominations must include the following:
- a completed application form (PDF)
- a letter of nomination describing the contributions of the nominee to the field of foreign- or second-language assessment
- a letter of recommendation by a referee other than the nominator who is familiar with the nominee's work and who is affiliated with an institution other than that of the nominee
- the nominee's current curriculum vitae, including doctoral graduation dates
- up to 5 examples of the nominee's work (e.g., an article from a scholarly journal, an original test, computer-delivered instructional materials) that provide a basis for evaluating the claim to distinction
Note: Self-nomination is allowed when providing a letter of nomination.
A committee convened by the TOEFL® Committee of Examiners will review nominations and select a winner based on the following criteria:
- consideration of one or more outstanding contributions to the field of foreign- or second-language assessment
- future promise as a contributor to foreign- or second-language assessment
- doctoral graduation date (within 7 years of the nomination deadline)
Where to send your nomination packet or get more information
Email your packet to TOEFLGrantsandAwards@ets.org with "TOEFL Essentials New Scholar Award Application" in the subject line.