Beginning August 2019, MyBest™ scores will be added to TOEFL iBT® score reports. MyBest scores help you see your applicants' best test performance when evaluating their English proficiency. Learn more about MyBest scores.
And a better test experience is coming for TOEFL® test takers. Get the details.
There is a score range for each skill measured on the test. There are 3 or 4 proficiency levels for each skill.
ETS administers some TOEFL iBT® test forms with 1 or more sections omitted. When 1 of these forms is administered, scores are given only for the sections that were included, and no total test score appears on the score report. If an institution receives such a score report and desires more information about the circumstances under which the test was administered, the institution should contact the test taker.
TOEFL iBT® Test Scores
View score descriptors in the Performance Feedback Brochure.
revised TOEFL® Paper-delivered Test Scores
For tests taken July 2017 or later.
TOEFL® PBT Test Scores
For tests taken prior to July 2017.
The TWE® test was a 30-minute writing test that was part of the TOEFL PBT test.
- Test takers would write an essay on 1 topic.
- The essay was rated for organization, development and support of a main idea (thesis); word choice; vocabulary; clarity; coherence; syntax; grammar; usage and style.
- The TWE score was reported on a scale of 1 to 6 and printed in a separate box on the TOEFL PBT score report. It was not added to the total score.
- A score between 2 points on the scale (5.5, 3.5) was also sometimes reported.
* Data taken from test taker score reports.
- Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Independent and Integrated Speaking Responses
- Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Independent and Integrated Writing Responses
- Reliability and Comparability of TOEFL iBT scores
- Validity Evidence Supporting the Interpretation and Use of TOEFL iBT Scores
ETS has long been at the forefront of combatting test security concerns. Our strategy is a 3-pronged approach of prevention, detection and communication, which is designed to protect the integrity of test scores.