Detailed and comprehensive, score reports highlight what students have accomplished as English-language learners and where they are ready to improve. And fast score turnaround time helps you in planning instruction.
Score reports feature a variety of information, including:
- proficiency levels
- proficiency descriptors
- scale scores that show progress within levels
TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening Tests
The TOEFL Primary® Reading and Listening Test Steps 1 and 2 are scored locally by ETS Preferred Network offices. Scores are determined by the number of questions a student has answered correctly — there’s no penalty for wrong answers. Score reports provide:
- information about the student's current level of English proficiency
- recommendations for improving English-language abilities
- details on the student’s CEFR level
- Lexile reading measures to help select level-appropriate reading materials
For more information about TOEFL Reading and Listening Tests scoring and reporting, download:
TOEFL Primary Speaking Test
The TOEFL Primary Speaking test is scored at ETS by human raters. Please refer to the TOEFL Primary Speaking Scoring Guide (PDF) for a better understanding of the scoring methodology. Score reports provide:
- Information about the student's current level of English proficiency
- Recommendations for improving English-language abilities
- Details on the student’s CEFR level
For more information about scoring and reporting for the TOEFL Primary Speaking Test, download:
A global picture of potential
Aligned with the CEFR
The Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) is a standard used by educators worldwide to measure the language proficiency of nonnative English speakers. TOEFL Primary scores are mapped to CEFR levels so you will know about your students' abilities in relation to a widely accepted international standard. To learn more, download:
- Understanding TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening Score Reports (PDF)
- Understanding TOEFL Primary Speaking Score Reports (PDF)
Find the right books using Lexile measures
TOEFL Primary reading scores are also matched to MetaMetrics® Lexile® measures. Based on a developmental scale for measuring both readers and texts, Lexile measures help students, teachers and parents select the material appropriate for a particular student's English reading ability.
Browse the ever-growing Lexile Book Database and find the right books for your students.
Recommended score validity
Due to rapid development of English proficiency by younger learners, ETS recommends that scores not be used beyond 1 year. Scores can be considered valid beyond 1 year if the student has provided evidence of having maintained the same level of English-language learning.
Score data summary
See the TOEFL Primary and TOEFL Junior Tests Score Data Summary (PDF) for findings on the performance of examinees who took the tests for 2016–2018.