In the academic community, we are all dealing with a world where the motivation and capability to commit academic and admissions cheating is on the rise. There is significant competition among students applying to academic programs, which can result in attempts by test takers to gain an unfair advantage on required tests or falsify score information.
Results You Can Trust
ETS has long been at the forefront of combatting test security concerns, and with more than US$60 million invested in state-of-the-art security annually, the TOEFL® test offers the best security of any English-language assessment.
- Test-day security procedures include biometric voice identification, facial recognition and the use of electronic wanding at test centers.
- The TOEFL® Speech Sample Service and test taker photos confirm student identity.
- All human rating is done anonymously, eliminating opportunities for fraud between test takers and interviewers.
- Since scoring isn't done at test centers and records aren't stored there, opportunities for scoring fraud are virtually nonexistent.
- Tests are delivered directly from ETS to the test taker's computer, minimizing opportunities to steal content.
How We Do It
We employ a 3-pronged approach of prevention, detection and communication designed to protect the integrity of TOEFL scores.
In addition, the ETS Office of Testing Integrity constantly monitors testing, investigates security issues and strives to ensure score validity worldwide, maintaining its long-standing commitment to reliable and secure test scores. And we will continue to adopt best practices and create new technologies to prevent and detect breaches of test security.
For security questions or concerns, please email email@example.com or call the Security Hotline at 1-800-750-6991 (toll free for test takers in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada) or +1-609-406-5430 (all other locations).