Not all English-language tests are the same. Designed by institutions for institutions, the TOEFL iBT® test meets your unique needs in a superior way. That's why more than 11,000 universities in over 150 countries trust it to accurately assess their applicants' ability to succeed in an English-speaking academic environment.
A Measurement of Skills Where It Matters
The TOEFL iBT test helps you identify students who can communicate in English where it matters — in the classroom.
- Integrated tasks use a combination of all 4 language skills to ensure students are prepared for the classroom.
- Test content is drawn from all areas of academic life to offer the most comprehensive picture of an applicant's ability to communicate in an academic setting.
Learn about Test Content.
An Unbiased and Reliable Assessment of Proficiency
The way the TOEFL iBT test is administered and scored helps you enroll truly diverse and successful students.
- Centralized, anonymous scoring by multiple raters ensures results are fair and objective.
- A combination of artificial intelligence and human scoring provides accurate results.
- A standardized Speaking section via computer eliminates the potential bias of a face-to-face interview.
- Extensive training and daily monitoring of our raters ensures that only the highest quality raters are scoring.
- Raters score responses from around the world, eliminating the potential for geographical bias.
Learn about Scores and Admissions.
Trusted and Secure
With policies designed to protect the integrity of test scores and more than US$60 million invested annually on state-of-the-art security, the TOEFL iBT test offers the best security of any English-language assessment and helps you ensure the quality of your international students.
Learn about Test Security.
An Accurate Prediction of Potential
Because the TOEFL iBT test effectively and reliably measures an applicant's ability to succeed in an academic environment, it helps institutions select the students with the highest academic potential. Unlike other English-language tests, the TOEFL iBT test gives universities the ability to differentiate among applicants because of its more precise measuring scale (0–120).
Compare TOEFL iBT scores to other measures.
Backed by Research
For over 50 years, ETS® has been at the forefront of English language learning and assessment, pioneering new ways to measure proficiency and sharing our knowledge with universities and institutions around the world to help them advance their teaching and research missions. We continue to fund rigorous, ongoing internal and external research to support the validity of TOEFL scores.
Learn about TOEFL Research.