The score range is 0–30 for each section of the test. Each score range is broken down into 4 or 5 proficiency levels to help you more accurately assess a test taker's skill.
Below Low-Intermediate (0–3)
Below Low-Intermediate (0–8)
Below Basic (0–9)
Below Basic (0–6)
Scoring Resources and Other Information
- Performance Descriptors for the TOEFL iBT® Test
- Download Performance Descriptors | File size: 140 kb
- Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Speaking Responses
- Download Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Speaking Responses | File size: 115 kb
- Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Writing Responses
- Download Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Writing Responses | File size: 143 kb
- Vol. 3: Reliability and Comparability of TOEFL iBT Scores
- An introduction for nonexperts to the key assessment concept of reliability, describing areas of practice that ETS uses to ensure that TOEFL iBT scores are reliable and comparable across forms.
- Download Volume 3 | File size: 742 kb
- Vol. 4: Validity Evidence Supporting the Interpretation and Use of TOEFL iBT Scores
- An introduction to the central notion of score validity and a presentation of the validity argument for the TOEFL iBT test, including summaries of research investigating key test claims.
- Download Volume 4 | File size: 686 kb
Test Forms with Omitted Sections
ETS administers some TOEFL iBT test forms with one or more sections omitted. When one of these forms is administered, scores are given only for the sections that were taken, and no total test score appears on the score report. If an institution receives such a score report and desires more information about the circumstances under which the test was administered, the institution should contact the test taker.