There is a score range of 0–30 for each skill measured on the test. That score range is broken down into 4 or 5 proficiency levels to help you more accurately assess a test taker's skill.
Below Low-Intermediate (0–3)
Below Low-Intermediate (0–8)
Below Basic (0–9)
Below Basic (0–6)
* The Speaking section is included in the TOEFL iBT® test only. The revised TOEFL® Paper-delivered Test includes only the Reading, Listening, and Writing sections. The score ranges and proficiency levels are the same on both tests for these 3 sections.
Scoring Resources and Other Information
- Performance Descriptors for the TOEFL iBT® Test
- Download Performance Descriptors | File size: 140 kb
- Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Speaking Responses
- Download Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Speaking Responses | File size: 115 kb
- Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Writing Responses
- Download Scoring Guides (Rubrics) for Writing Responses | File size: 143 kb
- Vol. 3: Reliability and Comparability of TOEFL iBT Scores
- An introduction for nonexperts to the key assessment concept of reliability, describing areas of practice that ETS uses to ensure that TOEFL iBT scores are reliable and comparable across forms.
- Download Volume 3 | File size: 742 kb
- Vol. 4: Validity Evidence Supporting the Interpretation and Use of TOEFL iBT Scores
- An introduction to the central notion of score validity and a presentation of the validity argument for the TOEFL iBT test, including summaries of research investigating key test claims.
- Download Volume 4 | File size: 686 kb
Test Forms with Omitted Sections
ETS administers some TOEFL iBT test forms with 1 or more sections omitted. When 1 of these forms is administered, scores are given only for the sections that were taken, and no total test score appears on the score report. If an institution receives such a score report and desires more information about the circumstances under which the test was administered, the institution should contact the test taker.