Why Choose the TOEFL® Test?
Accepted worldwide by more than 11,000 universities and institutions in over 150 countries, the TOEFL® test is the world's premier English-language test for study, work and immigration. More than 35 million people from all over the world have chosen the TOEFL test to demonstrate their English-language proficiency. Here's why.
The TOEFL Test Advantage
The TOEFL test comes with a clear advantage: universities know you are ready to succeed.
Get noticed by admissions officers.
Trusted scores backed by the TOEFL test's reputation and high standards help you stand out and show you have what it takes to be great.
Over 90% of TOEFL test takers surveyed got into their 1st or 2nd choice university.1
Get a head start over your peers.
Strengthen your skills while preparing for the test and arrive on campus better prepared for the academic English demands of a university classroom.
Accepted and Preferred
When your goal is university study, choose the English-language test that can get you there.
- Preferred by more than 80% of Canadian graduate programs.2 And Canadian universities receive more TOEFL scores than all other English-language tests combined.3
- Preferred by 9 out of 10 universities in the United States and accepted everywhere.4
- Accepted by 99% of U.K. universities, including 100% of the prestigious Russell Group® schools.
- Accepted by the top European universities and the most preferred English-language test in France and Germany.5
- Accepted by 100% of universities in Australia and New Zealand and for all migration visas.6
- Widely accepted throughout Asia, including at top universities in mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea and Malaysia.
A Better Test Experience from Start to Finish
When you choose the TOEFL test, you're choosing the only test that measures academic English skills in the way they're actually used in a classroom. But you're also getting a better test experience designed to help you succeed.
- Afternoon Test Times. Choose from test times in the morning and afternoon to find a seat and time that works for you
- More Opportunities to Register. The mandatory wait time between tests is just 3 days, and you can register online up to 2 days before your test.
- Free Practice Test. Prepare for test day with a full-length test, as part of the complete line of official test prep from the maker of the test.
- Shorter Test. The test is 30 minutes shorter, so you can finish the 3-hour test with no need to return for a second day
- Instant Scores. View your unofficial Reading and Listening scores at the end of your test before you leave the test center.
- Faster Official Scores. Receive your full, official scores just 6 days after your test.
- MyBest™ Scores. Show your best overall test performance with MyBest scores, the combination of your best section scores from the past 2 years.
- Fair and Unbiased Scoring. All tests are marked centrally using a combination of AI and human scoring.
1 Source: Survey of 296 randomly selected university students who took the TOEFL test.
2 Source: Survey of 44 graduate admissions officers at Canadian universities.
3 Source: Survey of 107 admissions officers at Canadian universities.
4 Source: Survey of 94 admissions officers at U.S. universities who accept both TOEFL and IELTS® scores and who expressed a preference.
5 Sources: Surveys of university admissions officers (59 in France and 100 in Germany).
6 May not apply to the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test in Australia.