- The first and last name you use when you register — and the spelling of that name — must exactly match (excluding accents) the name printed on the ID you’ll present on the day of your test.
- Provide your entire first (given) name (excluding accents). Don’t register under a nickname or with only an initial as your first name.
- Supply your entire last (family/surname) name. If you have a two-part first or last name, supply your complete last name as it appears on the ID (excluding accents) that you’ll present on the day of the test. For example, a last name of Fernandez de Córdova would be entered as Fernandez de Cordova.
- You have the option to include your middle initial, but it’s not a requirement.
- If you register by phone, make sure you’re registered under your entire first and last names as they appear on your ID (excluding accents).
TOEFL® Destinations Search
Search by name or location to find institutions that accept TOEFL® scores.
Please provide a valid search criteria
There are currently no results available for your search. Please check the spelling of the institution name or location that you are searching for and try again.
Search by name or location to find institutions and programs that accept TOEFL® scores
Note: ETS provides these search results as a guide. Please contact institutions directly to verify accuracy of your search results.
The name you use when registering
When you create your ETS account and register for your test, it’s important to make sure that the name you use exactly matches the name on the identification (ID) information you plan to use on the day of your test. If this information doesn't match, you won't be able to take the test, and your test fee won't be refunded. If you’re concerned about a discrepancy, contact TOEFL® Services before you register. TOEFL Services can also help if your name changes after you register.
Your ID requirements
Your ID requirements depend on where you plan to take the test and your citizenship, unless you’re testing at home. If testing at home, you’re required to present valid government-issued ID.
Review the general ID requirements below, then select the country/location where you plan to test to see specific ID requirements.
General ID document requirements
With few exceptions, ID documents must meet all of the following requirements. Each ID document must:
- be an original document; photocopied documents are not acceptable, and documents cannot be presented on a mobile phone or any other electronic device
- be a physical ID; an electronic ID issued to a mobile phone or any other electronic device is not acceptable
- be a government-issued national/state/province identity card that is issued and recognized by the country where you are a citizen or resident
- be valid; expired documents are not acceptable
- include your full name and date of birth exactly matching the name and date of birth you used to register, excluding accents or diacritical marks
- include a recent, recognizable photograph
- include your signature (the name on the ID and the signature name must match)
ID requirements in the country/location where you plan to test
Select the country/location where you plan to take the test to see information about specific ID requirements.
Questions about ID documents
For general questions about acceptable ID, call TOEFL Services at:
- 1-877-863-3546 (United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada)
- 1-609-771-7100 (all other locations)