During Your At Home Test
Be sure to follow all testing rules when taking the TOEFL iBT® Home Edition or the Speaking section of the Paper Edition. If you don't, your test can be canceled and your fee won't be refunded.
- Don't use any unauthorized materials, including mobile devices, prewritten notes or textbooks at any time during the test, including the 10-minute break.
- Personal recording devices of any kind are strictly prohibited.
- You must disable any screen-sharing or remote-access software (such as Zoom®, Skype®, TeamViewer®, Microsoft Teams® and Apple Remote Desktop™) prior to the test. It must remain disabled throughout the test. Make sure that the software will not open automatically during the test.
- Don't communicate with anyone other than the proctor.
- There may be references to using a headset during your test. Ignore these; headsets are not allowed when testing at home.
- There is a 10-minute break after the Listening section when you may leave your seat. You must return on time. Unscheduled breaks aren't allowed.*
- At the end of the test, you'll be able to view unofficial scores for the Reading and Listening sections. Then you'll have the option to report or cancel your scores.*
- ETS is monitoring reuse of devices and testing locations for unauthorized purposes. Frequent, inappropriate reuse of shared testing devices and common testing locations may result in score delay and/or score cancellation and could impact your eligibility to take future ETS exams.
Interacting with the Proctor
- During the test, the proctor will monitor you (via video camera) and your computer screen to ensure you follow all testing procedures.
- Make sure you can always be seen on camera by the proctor. Suspicious movements could invalidate your test.
- If you need to contact the proctor during your test, speak to get their attention and/or use the LogMeIn chat. It may take 30–60 seconds for the proctor to reply.
- If the proctor is attempting to chat with you, the blue owl will bounce up and down.
Your entire test session will be recorded by ProctorU and monitored by a human proctor, and your photo will be taken. Your photo from the test session will be shared with institutions as part of your TOEFL iBT score report.
* Does not apply to the TOEFL iBT Paper Edition.