angle-up angle-right angle-down angle-left close user menu open menu closed search globe bars phone store

Go to the U.K. or Europe

  • Accepted by 100% of U.K. universities, including the prestigious Russell Group® universities
  • Accepted by the top European universities and most preferred in France and Germany1


The TOEFL test is accepted for admissions by 100% of all U.K. universities, including the prestigious Russell Group universities. If you are a citizen of the European Union, you can study in the U.K. without a student visa. Those arriving from outside the EU, however, will need to apply for student visas from their local British Consulate or Embassy.

You can find more information about living and studying in the U.K. on the International Student U.K. Page.

Using the TOEFL Test for Tier 4 Student Visas

The TOEFL test is accepted for Tier 4 student visas under certain conditions, even though it is not formally recognized by the U.K. Home Office as a Secure English Language Test (SELT). A process established by the Home Office allows each university to choose how to assess applicants' English-language abilities. Under this provision, a university may issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for students with scores from English tests that are not on the SELT list, including the TOEFL iBT® test.

In order to use your TOEFL scores in this way, the following conditions need to be met:

  • Your chosen U.K. university accepts the TOEFL iBT test for admissions purposes. Check the university website, or contact the admissions department directly, to confirm that they accept TOEFL iBT scores.
  • You meet the TOEFL iBT score requirements for university entry and your course of study. Be sure to check the university website for TOEFL iBT score requirements as you may find each university has different requirements depending on the course you intend to apply for.
  • You meet the TOEFL iBT score requirements set by the Home Office for immigration. These scores are:
    • For University Degree Level Courses – B2 level
      • Total: 72
      • Reading: 18
      • Listening: 17
      • Writing: 17
      • Speaking: 20
    • For Pre-sessional Courses – B1 level
      • Total: 42
      • Reading: 4
      • Listening: 9
      • Writing: 13
      • Speaking: 16


If you plan to study within the European Union or wider Schengen area and you are coming from outside Western Europe, you will need a visa in order to do so. If you plan to stay for 90 days or more, you'll also need a Long-Stay Visa or residence permit.

You must be accepted by a reputable institution in the EU country prior to applying. To apply for these documents, you'll need to submit your application to the country in which you plan to study, along with whatever documentation and evidence they require. This may include:

  • a valid passport
  • letter of acceptance
  • medical insurance
  • proof of language proficiency
  • proof that you are able to pay tuition fees and support yourself

It typically takes about a month to process, though it can take as long as 90 days. If you haven't received a response within 90 days, it's likely that you were denied, and you should reach out to the visa office for more information.

For more information on studying in Europe, see:

1 Source: Survey of 59 admissions officers at French universities and 100 admissions officers at German universities.