Level 2, Section 2
This section of the TOEFL ITP Level 2 test is designed to measure your ability to recognize language that is appropriate for standard written English. There are 2 types of questions in this section with special directions for each type.
Questions 1–4 are incomplete sentences. Below each sentence you will see 4 words or phrases marked A, B, C and D. Choose the 1 word or phrase that best completes the sentence.
In the past, lions _______ common in many parts of the world.
The correct choice is A.
As you're going through the questions below, select the appropriate answer for each by clicking on it. When you have answered all the questions, click "Show all answers" at the end of the page to highlight the correct answer for each question.
Now begin work on the questions.
- Vegetables are an excellent source ________ vitamins.
- Microscopes make small things appear larger than ________.
- really are
- are really
- are they really
- they really are
- The city of Montreal ________ on an island in the Saint Lawrence River.
- was built
- has built
- that built
- A singer's struggle to succeed in popular music is the kind of story ________ a fascinating film could be made.
- for whom
- about which
In questions 5–10, each sentence has 4 highlighted words or phrases. The 4 highlighted parts of the sentence are marked A, B, C and D. Identify the 1 highlighted word or phrase that must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct.
- A large (A) number of automobile (B) part are now (C) made of plastic (D) instead of steel.
The correct choice is B.
- Although a kangaroo (A) normally uses (B) its large feet and strong legs (C) for hopping, (D) but it can also swim.
- When a (A) severe ankle (B) injury forced (C) herself to give up reporting in 1926, Margaret Mitchell (D) began writing her novel, Gone with the Wind.
- (A) The pineapple, a fruit (B) grow in tropical climates (C) throughout the world, (D) is native to parts of South America.
- Canals are (A) artificial waterways, often constructed (B) either to transport heavy loads or to (C) delivering water (D) to cities and farms.
- Anne Elizabeth McDowell is (A) best (B) remembered for a (C) weekly journal, Woman's Advocate, (D) who she launched in January 1855.
- A ray of light passing (A) through (B) the center of a thin lens (C) keep its (D) original direction.
Get the information you need about the TOEFL iBT®, TOEFL ITP®, TOEFL Junior® or TOEFL Primary® tests.