Directions: Each sentence has an underlined word or phrase. Below each sentence are four other words or phrases, marked A, B, C or D. You are to choose the one word or phrase that best keeps the meaning of the original sentence if it is substituted for the underlined word or phrase. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and fill in the space that corresponds to the letter you have chosen. Fill in the space so that the letter inside the oval cannot be seen.
Look at the following example:
It is difficult to get young people to plan for their old age, which seems very distant to them.
- far away
The correct choice is B.
- Receptors for the sense of smell are located at the top of the nasal cavity.
- upper end
- inner edge
- Passenger ships and aircraft are often equipped with ship-to-shore or air-to-land radio telephones.
- Dotting the marshy expanse of the Florida Everglades are little islands known locally as hummocks.
- to all
- in that area
- It is not possible for people to remember everything that they have thought, felt or done.
- When preparing a diet, a person should be aware that vitamin D acts to increase the amount of calcium absorbed by the body.
- schedule of exercise
- nutritional plan
- study of longevity
- medicinal chart
This section is designed to measure the ability to read and understand short passages similar in topic and style to those found in North American universities and colleges. Examinees read a variety of short passages on academic subjects. Each passage is followed by a number of questions about the material. To avoid creating an advantage to individuals in any one field of study, sufficient context is provided so that no subject-specific familiarity with the subject matter is required to answer the questions.
Directions: In this section you will read several passages. Each one is followed by several questions. You are to choose the one best answer, A, B, C or D, to each question. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and fill in the space that corresponds to the letter of the answer you have chosen.
Answer all questions following the passage on the basis of what is stated or implied in the passage.
Sample Passage and Questions
|A new atomic clock being developed for navigation|
|satellites will perform better than previous devices. The|
|clock, which incorporates a hydrogen maser, will use a|
|Line||new microwave cavity design to provide a compact and|
|(5)||lightweight package, and new electronic techniques to|
|maintain long-term stability. The clock can provide|
|precise navigation information because it is stable to|
|one second in three million years. The differences in|
|the time when signals from four satellites arrive at one|
|(10)||location can be used to calculate that position to within|
|a few yards.|
Look at the following example:
From the passage, it can be inferred that which of the following characteristics of the clock mentioned will be most impressive?
- Its compact size
- Its weight
- Its accuracy
- Its ability to measure distance
The correct choice is C.
- It can be inferred from the passage that the new clock will be
- harmful to humans
- produced in great numbers
- very attractive looking
- According to the passage, signals from how many satellites will be used to calculate a position?
- What is the primary purpose of the passage?
- To teach a lesson
- To sell a product
- To support a theory
- To provide information
Answer Key for Pre-TOEFL Test Vocabulary and Reading Comprehension
Get the information you need about the TOEFL iBT®, TOEFL ITP®, TOEFL Junior® or TOEFL® Primary™ tests.