- What are the TOEFL Primary® tests?
The TOEFL Primary tests are assessments from ETS that help you shape young students' English-language instruction in a way you never could before. They are designed for students ages 8+ and measure the English skills that provide a foundation for students' future success. Learn more about the TOEFL Primary tests.
- Who uses the tests, and how do they use them?
- The TOEFL Primary tests can be used to monitor student progress over time and, if appropriate, to place students in levels of English instruction. Learn about the various ways that teachers, parents and students use the TOEFL Primary tests.
- What is the format of the tests?
- Reading and Listening tests — Step 1: paper delivered, digitally delivered or remote proctored
- Reading and Listening tests — Step 2: paper delivered, digitally delivered or remote proctored
- Speaking test: digitally delivered or remote proctored
- Available on the following digital platforms: Windows® PC, Mac®, iPad®, Android™ and Chromebook™
- What skills do the tests measure?
The TOEFL Primary program offers 3 tests that measure a range of skills.
- The Reading and Listening tests (Step 1 and Step 2) assess students' knowledge, skills and abilities to fulfill core communication goals in English.
- The Speaking test measures English-language oral proficiency.
Learn more about test content.
- How are the tests administered?
The TOEFL Primary® Reading and Listening tests — Step 1 and Step 2 — offer institutional testing so that schools can administer the tests to their own students. The TOEFL Primary® Speaking test is given during fixed administration periods.
- How do I know which TOEFL Primary test is right for my students?
- The Reading and Listening tests — Step 1 is intended for students in the earlier stages of English language learning.
- The Reading and Listening tests — Step 2 is intended for students who have acquired some communicative English skills.
- The Speaking Test is intended for all Reading and Listening test takers.
For help deciding which test is right for your students, learn more about the test content.
- How are the TOEFL Primary tests scored?
Both TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening tests are scored locally by ETS Preferred Network offices and feature fast turnaround times. Learn more about how these tests are scored:
- TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening tests — Step 1 scoring
- TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening tests — Step 2 scoring
The TOEFL Primary Speaking test is scored at ETS by ETS-trained raters. Learn more about how the TOEFL Primary Speaking test is scored.
- How do I order the tests?
- What research is in progress on the TOEFL Primary tests?
Like all tests in the TOEFL® Family of Assessments, the TOEFL Primary tests are based on thorough research to ensure their validity and reliability, and they reflect best practices in language testing.
Learn more about ongoing TOEFL Primary research.