- What is the TOEFL ITP® Assessment Series?
The TOEFL ITP Assessment Series offers colleges and universities, English-language programs, and other organizations the opportunity to administer a convenient, affordable and reliable English-language assessment. The tests measure English proficiency at high-beginning to advanced levels.
The tests use academic content to evaluate non-native speakers' English skills in:
- Listening Comprehension
- Structure and Written Expression
- Reading Comprehension
- How is the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series used by institutions?
There are many ways that you can incorporate the TOEFL ITP assessments into your classroom to keep your students on track for success. Learn more about how institutions use the tests.
- Who uses the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series?
Some 2,500 institutions in 50+ countries administer over 800,000 TOEFL ITP tests annually, including:
- colleges and universities
- secondary schools
- English-language programs
- What skills does the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series measure?
The TOEFL ITP assessments are composed of 3 sections. Each section measures a different skill:
- Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities.
- Structure and Written Expression measures recognition of selected structural and grammatical points in standard written English.
- Reading Comprehension measures the ability to read and understand academic material written in English.
Learn more about test format.
- What is the format of the tests?
The TOEFL ITP tests are available in paper or digital format. All questions are multiple choice. TOEFL ITP tests are administered for 2 levels:
- The TOEFL ITP Level 1 test (intermediate to advanced) consists of 3 sections: Listening Comprehension, Structure and Written Expression, and Reading Comprehension.
- The TOEFL ITP Level 2 test (high beginning to intermediate) consists of 3 similar sections, as well as an additional vocabulary section added to the Reading Comprehension section.
Learn more about the test format.
- How can test takers prepare for the tests?
ETS offers a variety of resources to help test takers get ready for the test. Materials include practice test volumes, an official guide and more. Learn more about test preparation.
- How is the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series administered?
The tests are administered by institutions using their own facilities, staff and resources, or by your local ETS TOEFL ITP Associate. Multiple test forms allow you to administer the test throughout the year and as often as you need. Institutions set the test date and size of the group to be tested. The tests are available in both paper-delivered and digital formats.
Learn more about test administration.
- How are the tests scored?
Paper tests are scored by ETS or by your local ETS TOEFL ITP Associate. Score reports are available within 7 days after receipt of the answer sheets.
For digital tests, unofficial scores and rosters are available immediately after the test. Official scores are sent out within 7 days after the test date.
Each section is scored separately to help you determine which skills need more work, enabling you to better meet each student's needs.
Learn more about test scoring.
Get the information you need about the TOEFL iBT®, TOEFL ITP®, TOEFL Junior® or TOEFL Primary® tests.