- What is the TOEFL ITP® Assessment Series?
The TOEFL ITP Assessment Series offers colleges and universities, English-language programs, and other organizations the opportunity to administer a convenient, affordable and reliable English-language assessment. The tests measure English proficiency at high-beginning to advanced levels.
The tests use academic content to evaluate non-native speakers' English skills in:
- Listening Comprehension
- Structure and Written Expression
- Reading Comprehension
- How is the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series used by institutions?
There are many ways that you can incorporate the TOEFL ITP assessments into your classroom to keep your students on track for success. Using academic content, the TOEFL ITP tests can be used for:
- Placement in intensive English-language programs requiring academic English proficiency at a college or graduate level.
- Progress monitoring in English-language programs stressing academic English proficiency.
- Exiting English-language programs by demonstrating proficiency in English listening and reading.
- Skill building and preparation for the TOEFL iBT® test.
- Admissions to short-term, non-degree programs and collaborative international degree programs.
- Scholarship programs, as contributing documentation for academic English proficiency.
- Who uses the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series?
Some 2,500 institutions in 50+ countries administer over 800,000 TOEFL ITP tests annually, including:
- Colleges and universities
- Secondary schools
- English-language programs
- What skills does the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series measure?
The TOEFL ITP assessments are composed of 3 sections. Each section measures a different skill:
- Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities.
- Structure and Written Expression measures recognition of selected structural and grammatical points in standard written English.
- Reading Comprehension measures the ability to read and understand academic material written in English.
Learn more about test content.
- What is the content of the tests?
The TOEFL ITP tests are available in paper or digital format. All questions are multiple choice. TOEFL ITP tests are administered for 2 levels:
- The TOEFL ITP Level 1 test (intermediate to advanced) consists of 3 sections: Listening Comprehension, Structure and Written Expression, and Reading Comprehension.
- The TOEFL ITP Level 2 test (high beginning to intermediate) consists of 3 similar sections, as well as an additional vocabulary section added to the Reading Comprehension section.
Learn more about the test content.
- How can test takers prepare for the tests?
Test takers can prepare for the TOEFL ITP tests with real practice tests from ETS. TOEFL ITP Level 1 Practice Tests, Volume 1 and TOEFL ITP Level 1 Practice Tests, Volume 2 each contain the following:
- 2 complete TOEFL ITP Level 1 practice tests
- A CD-ROM of the Listening passages, answer keys, scoring information, study tips and test-taking strategies
Learn more about practice tests.
Test takers can prepare for the TOEFL ITP tests with real practice tests from ETS. TOEFL ITP Level 2 Practice Test, Volume 1 contains the following:
- 1 complete TOEFL ITP Level 2 practice test
- A CD-ROM of the Listening section, answer key, scoring information, study tips and test-taking strategies
- Learn more about practice tests.
The Official Guide to the TOEFL ITP® Test is specifically written to help students prepare for the test and includes:
- A description of all of the types of questions on the test
- Practice questions and answers with explanations
- 2 full-length practice tests
- Useful strategies for improving academic English skills
- A CD-ROM for the Listening section (Mac® compatible)
Learn more about the Official Guide to the TOEFL ITP Test.
- How is the TOEFL ITP Assessment Series administered?
The tests are administered by institutions using their own facilities, staff and resources, or by your local ETS TOEFL ITP Associate. Multiple test forms allow you to administer the test throughout the year and as often as you need. Institutions set the test date and size of the group to be tested. The tests are available in both paper-delivered and digital formats.
Learn more about test administration.
- How are the tests scored?
Paper tests are scored by ETS or by your local ETS TOEFL ITP Associate. Score reports are available within 7 days after receipt of the answer sheets.
For digital tests, unofficial scores and rosters are available immediately after the test. Official scores are sent out within 7 days after the test date.
Each section is scored separately to help you determine which skills need more work, enabling you to better meet each student's needs.
Learn more about test scoring.
Get the information you need about the TOEFL iBT®, TOEFL ITP®, TOEFL Junior® or TOEFL Primary® tests.